Talk

Advanced search

My poor dogs

(11 Posts)
DianaMitford Wed 11-Jan-17 20:47:29

My friend kindly offered to have my dogs for me over Christmas and New Year. My boy is a JRxPatterdale and my girl is JRx Toy Poodle so pretty small, intelligent, active creatures. They are also loyal and about as obedient as dogs get. She's had them before with no problems and asked to keep them on after NYE because she's been having a tough time st home and her dd (16) really appreciated having them around.

She returned them yesterday. They came home thin, starving, their beds were covered in mound and smelled strongly of damp. She said she'd run out of dog food so she'd been feeding them "bits of ham and whatever we were having". I gave her £20 the week before last for food and told her just to text me if she needed more money. She also told me that she'd walked them at lunchtime that day. Now I know my dogs and I suspected she hadn't been exercising them. When I took them out this morning they ran and ran and ran and ran. They hadn't been out for days! angry

There really isn't a point to this thread, I'm just venting. My poor dogs sad

They didn't deserve that. And it's so horrible to think of them distressed and confused. My boy dog chewed up a toy (children's toy, not his) and he only ever does that when he's upset sad

DaftJelly Wed 11-Jan-17 20:49:40

shock What a fucking bitch! I would never speak to her again. Your poor babies.

Hoppinggreen Wed 11-Jan-17 20:52:16

That sounds awful, your poor dogs
Having said that I can't imagine just letting someone keep my dog from before Xmas until now, I would miss him too much

BlueKarou Wed 11-Jan-17 20:52:44

You need new friends and a new dog sitter. That's not on at all.

dudsville Wed 11-Jan-17 20:55:05

How awful. Love them up. Get their confidence and health back up and distance yourself from anyone who treats a dog that way.

Pluto30 Wed 11-Jan-17 20:55:39

I'd never speak to that person again. What a cow.

Lots of cuddles, treats, and walks for the pups!

Shriek Wed 11-Jan-17 20:57:01

How selfish and cruel of her and probably not the best of plans if she was already struggling. What I dont understand is why she would keep them longer?'!

I would be extremely distressedin your situation to see my own ddogs in such a state.

You will no doubt nurse them back to profound health vigour and cleanliness in no time! Wishing you all a speedy recovery from this flowers

OhDear2200 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:01:40

We looked after a friends dog over Christmas. I am probably over anxious about them getting enough walks, food, attention etc. Surely the whole point of "borrowing" a friends dog is that you get to go for nice long walkies with them???

When we asked how the dog was after we had returned her our friends said 'tired, you obviously walked her lots'. (Don't panic we didn't over walk her, she a retriever so could take it and absolutely loved her romps in the country!).

Sorry not much help but just wanted to say that if you find the right friend you can get good excellent dog sitter.

Chunder Wed 11-Jan-17 21:10:02

Your poor dogs! sad Why would your "friend" treat them like that? I hope you told her what an awful person she was to starve and neglect your pets.

ChuffCloud Wed 11-Jan-17 21:16:09

I would give her a piece of my mind and then disown her, that's really not on.

DianaMitford Wed 11-Jan-17 21:50:10

I've long suspected MH problems with her but never, ever had concerns about her with my dogs before.
I whipped them up to the vet for a check up and they're fine, physically, if underweight.

Oh yes, plenty of love and cuddles here! I'm also being careful with the amount I'm feeding them - I don't want them to get tummy ache.

Their blankets are washed and they have new beds. Hopefully they'll be back to normal before long!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now