Talk

Advanced search

Barking and neighbours

(16 Posts)
amsingleagain Wed 11-Jan-17 16:49:01

I have 3 dogs. Labrador 3, Weshi 8 and Weshi 7.
My very surly and miserable hen-pecked neighbour has just been round to say that for the last 3 years, since I moved in, that one of the dogs barks all day, from the minute I go out to the minute I get back.
Clearly I was very pleasant and apologetic. I can't imagine having to put up with that!!
They are a retired couple who are at home all day, and we are a loud lively house. Very different.
He said he will leave it with me.
What the hell do I do???
My friend is lending me her go pro to record them when I am out, but does anyone have any advice. They are walked for about 30 mins in the morning and 1 1/2 hrs at night.
TIA

Wolfiefan Wed 11-Jan-17 16:51:47

Do you leave them all day? If so I would imagine that's the problem.

TrustySnail Wed 11-Jan-17 16:53:36

It seems strange that they've waited 3 years to complain about this - has anything else happened recently for which the dog barking complaint could be a smokescreen?

picklemepopcorn Wed 11-Jan-17 16:58:08

I had this situation and rang environmental health to find out where I stood. They offered to lend me a collar which jets air at the dig when it barks. It is a bit controversial, but it depends how bad the problem is. We had to go with it because all other methods were failing and we needed to sort it out.

LottieL Wed 11-Jan-17 17:00:52

How long are the dogs left for? Do they have free roam of the house?

PossumInAPearTree Wed 11-Jan-17 17:00:54

Radio on for the dogs?

Are you attached to the neighbours? Can you put the dogs the other side of the house?

Dog walker to come in at lunchtime?

Ylvamoon Wed 11-Jan-17 17:52:36

How long are they left? Have they access to windows & hallways?
The best action would be to first record it, to hear who is barking.
Next step would be to re teach your dog how to be alone / left behind in one specific room. Or consultant dog behaviourist/ trainer.
Using any kind of "no bark" device might stop the barking but won't make your dog feel better about being left. It's a cruel and unnecessary thing to do.

amsingleagain Wed 11-Jan-17 19:02:22

Thanks everyone. To answer your questions:
I leave the house at about 9.15 and at home at 2.45.
The dogs have free run of the house.
Food and water down all day.
Windows accessible. No chance to section to other side of house.
I have had a mouse problem for the last couple of months necessitating pest control to come out. They have said that everything is ok in my house, put poison down etc. After 3 visits they said that maybe they are coming from next door. They went to see next door but I don't know the outcome. Maybe they didn't like that!
Very strange couple though. She jumps up and goes into the house and slams the door if i go out to put washing on the line. They are the talk of the street because of her funny ways. His sister lives directly opposite him and I used to work with her. Even she says that they are odd! x

amsingleagain Wed 11-Jan-17 19:02:43

Oh, and radio is on 24/7

specialsubject Wed 11-Jan-17 19:07:45

What do.you do? Assuming it is true.

Dog day care or dog sitter.

amsingleagain Wed 11-Jan-17 19:16:09

Assuming that it is true that the dogs are barking?
I can't afford dog daycare or sitter. My mum sometimes bobs in to let them out for wee if I'm going to be a lot later, and its not like they aren't exercised.
Im a single parent with 3 kids also, and need to work. Dogs came before the split and came with me.

TrustySnail Wed 11-Jan-17 20:11:09

Is there another neighbour you could ask about the barking - if true, surely it would be audible to more than just the people who've complained?

I wonder if this is a 'revenge' act over the mouse problem, as it does seem really strange that they'd put up with it for 3 years before saying anything (and if it had only recently started, why wouldn't they say so?).

I'd definitely want to ascertain that there is a problem, in the first instance.

If what the neighbour is saying is true and the barking starts as soon as you go out, a dog walker/sitter popping in later isn't going to solve the problem - it sounds like an anxiety or lack of stimulation type issue - you'd probably need to seek advice from a behavioural trainer as to how to tackle this.

amsingleagain Thu 12-Jan-17 12:57:31

....and in fact, last summer I wanted to leave them in the garden as it was such a nice day, so I posted through their door a note with words to the effect to ring me on either work or mobile numbers if there was any problem with barking or escape or in fact anything, and that I would be home within 3 minutes. No phone call and no verbal complaint on return!!
I only posted the note out of politeness, not because I thought that there would be a problem, but who knows what might happen, one of them might have dug under the fence. Unlikely but possibly x

georgedawes Thu 12-Jan-17 12:59:05

Surely they're being left too long? I can only leave my dog for about 4 hours b2fore she would get upset.

Floralnomad Thu 12-Jan-17 13:12:35

I would set up some kind of sound recording device in the first instance and keep the results just in case an official complaint is made . When you are at home keep a log of any barking the dogs do and a separate log of any barking you hear from other gardens / houses , all of this is obviously a complete pain but should there be a complaint it will show the noise people that you are taking the matter seriously .

Shriek Thu 12-Jan-17 13:17:15

I would say the first thing to do is ask for an hour or two off workone work which will allow you to stay outside after you leave to listen or to call home early from work and hear it for yourself. Shame he has to blame his wife?!
Camera or audi recording good idea. Any way you can of finding out if iys true. Or a friend calling by and listening . It IS a very long time to leave them but they are together and good company I wpuld not leave a lone dog this long and they havelots of stimulation with all your family and exercise. Establish facts first id say and write to them to let them know this. Keep a cooy and send it through post with certificate of posting asking them to communicate through letters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now