Talk

Advanced search

How to support children when a beloved pet is PTS.

(4 Posts)
HorseyHorseyTwat Wed 11-Jan-17 13:48:19

Hello. My DM just called to say she will be having her beloved and ancient staffy (Poppy) pts on Friday. She is very old - 18 we think, although a rescue so we don't know for certain - and from what DM says is definitely time, Poppy is really struggling.

My kids have known her all their lives and while I'm not too worried about my 5 yo DD, (she has an understanding of death and is less attached to her anyway) my 2.5 yo DS adores her and will not understand where or why she's gone. He's so sweet with her - walks at her speed when they're out, sits with her when she needs a rest, and when she doesn't eat her meals, as she hasn't much lately, he brings it to her and hand feeds her. He's so gentle and loving with her, far more than you'd ever expect from a toddling tank, it's breaking my heart to think of him looking for her every time we go round.

Any advice for how I support them, and indeed my DM?

HorseyHorseyTwat Wed 11-Jan-17 15:10:58

Anyone?

HorseyHorseyTwat Wed 11-Jan-17 22:56:18

Oh god, I'm so very sad right now. We're all going to miss her so much. My poor old girl.

MaddieElla Thu 12-Jan-17 13:26:23

Sorry you're going through this. It truly is the most horrific thing we have been through as a family so I know how you must feel.

We lost our dog in May last year at aged 7 after she caught a mystery infection. Telling my kids that she'd died in the night with us at home was the hardest thing I've ever done and I have never heard them cry like that before. (They were 12 and 9)

It might be slightly easier for you in that the dog has had a long and happy life; this is paramount for them to know. Things were more painful for us as it was unexpected, unfair and cruel.

I would advise sitting them down, explaining that she's had a fulfilled life and I would also let them read a poem called Rainbow Bridge. It's comforting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now