Talk

Advanced search

Should I rehome?

(18 Posts)
Amicruel Sun 08-Jan-17 19:43:24

I have a rescue visla

When I got him, he was 4, and my life very active and I was able to walk him twice a day 6+ miles. Fast forward two years and I suffered an injury which means he now only gets walked once a day - 2 miles tops(though he does more as it's all very mountainous off lead walking) Once every 10 or so days we can't get out at all.

He's happy, trained, healthy, the right weight, non destructive, has access to a very large garden (but he only goes out to pee then comes straight back in;his choice not mine) and I love him.

But the thread on aibu has led me to think maybe I am being cruel to keep him. He should have two walks a day. I can't afford a dog walker - his insurance and food are paid for but that's all I have. He seems so content but are my neighbours judging me? I am judging me sad

AndShesGone Sun 08-Jan-17 19:49:59

I imagine that since he's now 6 years old it's fine.

I think you should ignore the other threads flowers

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 08-Jan-17 19:54:08

Nope, he sounds fine to me too.

Fishcakey Sun 08-Jan-17 19:55:30

Some dogs are content to stay in. If I never took either of mine out they wouldn't care. Previous dog would have walked all day!

Chunder Sun 08-Jan-17 19:56:38

Honestly, from your post, he sounds fine and happy. Do you do things in the home to keep his mind stimulated? You could play fetch in the garden, use a flirt pole (that would also physically tire him out), teach him new tricks and so on. All great alternatives to a second walk. Kongs, treat puzzles, snuffle mats etc. could also keep him entertained. Dogs love to sniff and I think for most dogs the sniffing new things is the most important part of the walk, rather than the distance.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 08-Jan-17 19:56:43

If you are worried how about doing some mental stimulation with him on the days you can't get out? There are plenty of brain training games for dogs and mental exercise can be just as tiring for them as physical exercise.

BetweenTwoLungs Sun 08-Jan-17 19:57:54

I have a border collie (shock horror!!) who is an ex-agility dog and is quite happy with one good run a day. He's loved, he's happy, you're fine.

VinoEsmeralda Sun 08-Jan-17 19:58:00

That's sound fine to me. Our Ddog needs a lot less ( high active dog) we have really noticed a big slow down around 7.

Could you possibly provide mental stimulation for him. I.e hide treats which he has to find. Hide yourself and he has to find you. Get some puzzle games for dogs?

TanteJeanne Sun 08-Jan-17 19:58:38

Could a fellow dog walker take him along when they go for a walk?? Even if they could only commit occasionally it would help. There is often a good community amongst dog walkers

Amicruel Sun 08-Jan-17 20:02:27

Thank you. I feel bad about it at the best of times, especially as I judge my dsis for having a dog that she never takes out. Is it that much difference having an unwalked lap dog or an especially underwalked extremely athletic dog?

But he is nearly 7 and basically acts like rug at home. I have kongs and a puzzle ball- he enjoys them, but not if I'm home. If I'm home the priority is sleeping on or near me.

Icequeen01 Sun 08-Jan-17 21:20:41

Could the Cinnamon Trust help do you think? It's basically a bit like borrow a doggy where people like myself, who would love a dog but can't due to work commitments etc, volunteer to take people's dogs out for walks. Might be worth looking into.

I'm not a dog owner myself (yet!) but it sounds as though your dog loves you and is very content. Definitely no need to rehome.

Icequeen01 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:17:50

Just researched Cinnamon Trust a little more and I don't think they would be able to help. It appears to be for the elderly. Sorry should have checked before posted!

forgottenusername Sun 08-Jan-17 22:22:56

My dd was showing me a site called something like borrowmydoggy.com where we could sign up to borrow someone's dog and take it for walks (kids are seriously putting pressure on us for a dog!). It matched people who wanted doggy company but couldn't committ full time to doges who needed a bit more attention.

If you're near me, we'd walk your dog! smile

forgottenusername Sun 08-Jan-17 22:23:38

ooh wasn't expecting that to become a link - lucky I remembered the address correctly!

TrionicLettuce Mon 09-Jan-17 05:10:07

Honestly, if he's happy at home I wouldn't worry about it. Physical exercise isn't necessarily the be all and end all for dogs, as a previous poster said if you feel you should be doing more then give his brain a work out at home. There's all sorts you could do; trick training (including getting him to do tasks around the house), scent games, body awareness exercises, etc.

mollie123 Mon 09-Jan-17 05:44:51

He is obviously happy - and you would soon know if he wasn't smile - Although young dogs need a reasonable amount of exercise I cannot believe 6 miles a day is necessary.shock (most of us would struggle with that )
At 7 he will start to slow down into middle-age and the interest on the walk is as important as the duration IMO.

lovelearning Mon 09-Jan-17 05:46:13

Should I rehome?

No

Bubble2bubble Mon 09-Jan-17 10:46:08

He is loved, walked, happy to be with you and content in the house. That is all the most dogs ask smile To rehome him would be unfair on both of you.

I also second what others have said about exercise requirements going down from this age.

There is a great charity local to me who walks dogs for people who are unable to because of injury or ill health ( slightly different to Cinnamon Trust which is more aimed at the elderly I think ). There may be something like this in your area?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now