Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thundershirt- is it really that simple?

(57 Posts)
FaintlyBaffled Sun 08-Jan-17 17:40:26

We've just cracked and bought one for DDog3.
She's excitable, licky, springy and hugely reactive outside the house. We've just put it on her and she's rooted to the spot bizarrely calm. We can stroke her without being drowned in dribble, she's not jumping up, in fact she's almost catatonic. I can hardly wait to try her outdoors confused
However hard I've looked, I can't seem to find any guidance on how we actually use it though. Should we keep it on all the time or use it only in situations where we know there's going to be an issue? ATM
I may never take it off as she's cheerfully pottering about the house and not causing mayhem in any shape or form. I'm worried that the effects will be diluted if we use it constantly, but perhaps prolonged periods of behaving "properly" may cause her to see that as normal (as we are hugely praising her at the moment for her calmness)
I really don't want to ruin this "miracle cure" by using it inappropriately.

floopyloopy Sun 08-Jan-17 22:08:34

Just looking at the website - it says 8-10 hours. I'm thinking of getting one for my beagle. He goes very still when he has a jacket on, and I think a thunder shirt might help him settle at night.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 08-Jan-17 22:17:38

I have a very reactive rescue dog, he has two thundershirts that we alternate so he has one on virtually all the time. He's so much calmer with one on - plus he's similar to a whippet so it keeps him a bit warmer too

Skinimum Sun 08-Jan-17 22:53:49

How does it work?

Costacoffeeplease Sun 08-Jan-17 23:14:01

It wraps them tight like a permanent hug😊

floopyloopy Mon 09-Jan-17 10:51:35

I've just bought one after another tricky night. Wish me luck!

Op how is yours today?

FaintlyBaffled Mon 09-Jan-17 15:34:19

It's totally logical as a concept but the fact that it actually seems to work is a bit of a gob smacker grin

We left it on DDog3 all night and this morning she was happy to see us, pottering round and wagging her tail with the occasional spring into mid air, a far cry from fending off the leaping, licking whirlwind that she was! We've not had a chance to try it outdoors as it's raining and we categorically Don't Do Rain, plus the elderly ladies of the village with their little dogs are also tucked up warmly indoors. I hardly dare to hope that it will work as well outdoors as it does indoors. It will be so much easier to modify and adapt her behaviours if she is just calm enough to listen and sit still for two minutes grin

If all goes to plan then I think I will do as you did costa and buy two. DDog3 is part whippet so it does also have the added bonus of keeping the chill off her- result!

Good luck with yours floopy, let us know how you get on smile

floopyloopy Mon 09-Jan-17 17:12:01

Got home and put it on. Remarkable!

Costacoffeeplease Mon 09-Jan-17 17:20:53

Good remarkable?

floopyloopy Mon 09-Jan-17 18:26:21

Yes! Left it on for an hour and he looked very dopey. Will see what tonight brings.

I'm wary of miracle cures as I wonder why hasn't everyone heard of it if it's so good, but maybe we're 'early adopters' smile

Costacoffeeplease Mon 09-Jan-17 18:43:50

Brilliant!

We've had ours for a couple of years - when I first tried it he stood in it as if it was made of barbed wire smile I got it back out early last year and tried again and haven't looked back grin

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 09-Jan-17 18:45:02

Do they come in December sizes?

FaintlyBaffled Mon 09-Jan-17 21:59:02

DH has just mused that perhaps she can't breathe which is curbing her wilder excesses grin
I do keep finding her just standing, staring vaguely into the middle distance which is both amusing and novel at the same time. Even dinner time is a lot less frantic though she still belches like a trooper

Costacoffeeplease Mon 09-Jan-17 22:27:16

grin

alleypalley Tue 10-Jan-17 00:15:55

I've not heard of these before. I'm ordering one.

FaintlyBaffled Tue 10-Jan-17 01:16:54

I should be on commission gringringrin

Usermuser Tue 10-Jan-17 07:20:03

I've just ordered one too. When I Googled it, it seems to be mainly for anxious dogs. My dog has always seemed very confident but maybe I'm misreading him and actually the complete craziness and loss of self control and concentration and inability to settle when we visit someone else's house or when he encounters another dog (because he gets told off when he bolts to them and won't come back...) is partly stress-related and not just 'happiness'. Here's hoping...

floopyloopy Tue 10-Jan-17 07:33:53

I think we're definitely on to something with ours. Much calmer and relaxed.

GinAndOnIt Tue 10-Jan-17 07:50:19

Do you think one of these might help calm down a dog when visitors are around? GinDog is very very calm generally, but he goes wild when someone knows the door. If we put him out so he doesn't hear the door, he then runs laps round the room when you let him back in and he realises new people are there. He calms down after a while, but if the visitor is a child or someone wary of dogs, it's often too late to get them to warm to GinDog after his excited performance! I wonder if it would work if he wore one during that period but had it taken off the rest of the time.

GinAndOnIt Tue 10-Jan-17 07:50:49

When someone knocks the door

MissTeriName Tue 10-Jan-17 07:58:45

Hmm. I've got a super-anxious dog and bought one last year as a last resort. It took ages to get it on her (she's that flighty) and once it was finally on, her reaction was the same as you've reported. Just stood still and refused to move, gazing into the corner of the room. Which was great as she'd previously been climbing the walls due to a storm.
But now, as soon as she even sees it, she bolts, so I'm guessing she didn't like it at all. Stupid dog. Can't she tell it's good for us her?

FaintlyBaffled Tue 10-Jan-17 08:07:45

A tiny part of me thinks that it's a bit sad as it's just not her IYKWIM?
However she's nearly three now and I've never seen her so quiet since we rescued her at 16 weeks, which must feel good for her on some level.
I'm going to try her out in the village later after I've had a nap, the proof of the pudding will be in her reaction to the small yappy dogs that are currently top of her "Dogs I Categorically Do Not Trust" list <crosses fingers>

ChipInTheSugar Tue 10-Jan-17 08:15:24

They perhaps have a similar effect to weighted blankets that anxious children can get? wonders about making a weighted shirt for DS

FaintlyBaffled Tue 10-Jan-17 08:21:18

I think so chip though it's described more like swaddling a baby.
DH has rather unkindly named it "DDog3's straitjacket" but on thinking about it I wonder if the principle was similar as well- surely for pure restraint you would simply use wrist restraints or cuffs?

MissTeriName Tue 10-Jan-17 08:27:41

I agree with the 'it's not her' sentiment too. Fwiw my dog also behaves in a similar way when she has a collar on - I guess she just hates 'clothes'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now