Talk

Advanced search

Bloody dog's just eaten a whole chicken carcass.....

(19 Posts)
HyacinthsBucket Sat 07-Jan-17 20:04:56

Dog grabbed the carcass off the carving board, it was a roast in the bag one, very small and it was well cooked. There are a few bones on the floor but rest has disappeared, assumed eaten. I'd taken the legs off and they're still there. He's not choked on any bones going down, and seems fine but am very worried...........wondering if he needs to see the vet or wait and see? Has anyone elses done the same?

Lovemusic33 Sat 07-Jan-17 20:08:40

My dog did the same a few months ago and I was panicking, he was fine and had no problems passing it.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 07-Jan-17 20:47:01

Cooked bones, particularly chicken, can splinter inside. This is very risky and yes you need to speak to a vet.

MoreBushThanMoss Sat 07-Jan-17 20:49:59

Speak to your vet. Our old dog had massive damage internally when she picked up a chicken bone on the towpath, which splintered inside her and she had extensive emergency abdominal surgery.

But on the other hand, my new dog when a puppy, killed and ate a baby pigeon with no ill effects whatsoever.

I think it's luck of the draw - but do speak to your vet.

Catzpyjamas Sat 07-Jan-17 20:51:43

Phone your vet or their out of hours service now. Cooked chicken bones can be very dangerous.

CouldHaveNotCouldOf Sat 07-Jan-17 20:53:06

The baby pigeon would have been fine as it wasn't cooked. It's the cooking of the bones which makes them splinter. My dogs eat raw bones all the time.
I would speak to your vet and see what they advise. My friend was feeding her dogs cooked bones for ages before I told her she shouldn't and they were fine. Hope your dog is ok.
One of mine ate a load of chocolate coins a few weeks before Christmas, flipping gits aren't they!

madgingermunchkin Sat 07-Jan-17 20:54:13

Morebush raw bones shouldn't be a problem, it's cooked chicken bones that are the issue.

I'd say keep a close eye over the next 12-24 hours and maybe phone the bet for advice on Monday morning.

Stfrillian Sat 07-Jan-17 20:56:42

Keep a close eye and speak to your vet on Monday, obviously emergency vet before if needed. My dog did the same thing and I was so worried especially after googling but he was fine. I think maybe the size of the dog makes a difference too.

Triplesalco Sat 07-Jan-17 20:57:42

What breed is he?
If he is tiny then I'd probably more worried. My dog has done this but he is a hulking great but gorgeous beast! Just keep your eyes on him

Triplesalco Sat 07-Jan-17 20:59:39

Cross post!!

UnbornMortificado Sat 07-Jan-17 21:01:50

My SIL's dog (tiny thing) had bother with a bone splintering I'd ring the vets to be on the safe side.

AlcoChocs Sat 07-Jan-17 21:08:01

My lab ate a whole cooked turkey carcass a few years ago.
I phoned vet who said there was nothing they could do to prevent problems. Just had to wait and watch him carefully at home and bring him in at first sign of possible gut perforation or obstruction such as vomiting or pooing blood, pain etc.
He was fine.

fuxxake Sat 07-Jan-17 21:14:08

I would just watch closely for any vomiting or constipation or general unwellness and see vet asap if that occurs. Whilst dog is well in itself it's unlikely the vets would/could do anything. They won't make him vomit as the bones could be just as dangerous coming back up. They may advise feeding soft moist wet food for a few days to kind of coat and help the passage of any bone particles or possibly something like lactulose or even vegetable/olive oil a few times a day to lubricate and help defecation. My mil used to give her old dog roast chicken carcass for years and never believed that it was dangerous

HyacinthsBucket Sat 07-Jan-17 21:14:25

He's a cocker spaniel. He seems OK in himself, but his stomach making lots of noise...unsurprisingly.

UnbornMortificado Sat 07-Jan-17 21:34:11

My mams cocker once needed surgery after eating a sock they can have quite delicate stomachs. Unlike the lab who ate 3 windowsills with zero ill effect hmm

HyacinthsBucket Sat 07-Jan-17 21:48:50

I've spoken to vet who said just to watch him carefully and that chickens tend to be soft boned these days - and advised lots of bread to help pad any bones out. I think he's overloaded his stomach more than anything at the moment, he's a very fussy eater and it's a challenge to get him to eat at the best of times. He'd had his biscuits with some chicken added, and leftover roast potatoes before the whole carcass........

CouldHaveNotCouldOf Mon 09-Jan-17 18:25:42

How is your dog? Hope he was ok after the drama!

HyacinthsBucket Mon 09-Jan-17 18:34:26

He's been fine, thank you. I did the bread with his meals as the vet advised, and touch wood all seems ok smile though bagging up his poops has been a bit interesting to say the least......!!

CouldHaveNotCouldOf Mon 09-Jan-17 18:38:30

Great news! Thanks for the update smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now