Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best toys for a puppy

(12 Posts)
ElasticFirecracker Sat 07-Jan-17 10:19:58

I'll be bringing a puppy home in a week or so, and I want to buy him some toys.

I'm looking for recommendations.

Thanks.

Setterlover Sat 07-Jan-17 10:27:00

Things my puppy likes

Small Kong tennis type balls that squeak
Kongs
Kong purple thing that looks like a jellyfish
Kong teddy bear that has rope inside
My daughter fleecy slippers
Fleecy Dressing gown cord tied up in knots
A rubber ring with bumpy bits on threats soft to chew
Empty milk cartons with the lid taken off
Small rope tug toy to chew on
A giraffe with a squeaky inside
Christmas wrapping paper empty tubes
Hunter make nice soft toys in different sizes
Nylabone thing with a brush on the end.
Chicken nylabone

All are rotated and she isn left alone to play with them
Soft blanket to chew on and suck
All from Zooplus as it's the cheapest I could find by a long way

Thewolfsjustapuppy Sat 07-Jan-17 10:29:47

flirt pole
Kong toys, I have found the filled type ones a bit much for our pup but she will grow into them.
Have you given the breeder a soft toy or blanket so that it can have the sent of the litter and mum on it when you bring pup home?
Mostly our pup plays with hesian shopping bags and cardboard toilet role inner tubes grin

Thewolfsjustapuppy Sat 07-Jan-17 10:31:11

My sons smelly sock with a couple of balls in it tied in a knot at the end - pup loves it!

HerOtherHalf Sat 07-Jan-17 10:35:21

Be careful with soft toys that have fibre filling as that can cause terrible, potentially fatal, problems if they eat it. Balls are great as a dog that enjoys fetching a ball is very easy to exercise as it gets older. "Toys" that have your scent on them, like old slippers, will comfort the dog when you're not with it. Empty plastic drinks bottles have been a cheap favourite of both my current and previous dog. They seem to love the feel in their mouth and if you get one that is just a little too big for their bite they have great fun chasing it around trying to control it.

MaitlandGirl Sat 07-Jan-17 10:46:24

Tennis balls and toilet roll tubes are favourites with our little beast.

And my shoes!!

applesareredandgreen Sat 07-Jan-17 11:32:21

A puppy Kong (lightblue/pink ones - softer rubber) to fill when you need a distraction or are leaving them
For supervised play my JRT pup loved empty drinks bottles but we don't give them to him now (7 months) as he can chew threw them
Antler chew - still a favourite. We bought the nylabone chews on recommendation but he wasn't interested.
Similarly he has no intetest in chasing or playing with balls apart from an old swing ball on a rope which he loves
Any small soft squeaky toy
Rope toys for tug
Kong teddy bear filled with rope so no stuffing to come out
And his very favourite playthings are anything he knows he shouldn't have - socks, gloves, DS's earphones, DS's homework, important documents etc!!

ElasticFirecracker Sun 08-Jan-17 09:38:13

Thank you so much for all these useful ideas.

Thewolf yes the breeder is goingbto good be me a blanket that's been with the litter.

Wolfiefan Sun 08-Jan-17 09:40:48

Kongs are great. I put in some soaked dried food and freeze. Great for teething! Or peanut butter and dried food.
Ours loves her ring nylabone.
Anything you can stuff treats in.
I've avoided rope and tuggy toys as she's a giant breed.

Cocobananas Mon 09-Jan-17 08:01:05

Old tea towel knotted with a few treats inside keeps them busy.
Long thin furry toys best to play tug and fetch, keeps your hands away from nippy teeth.
Mine is wood obsessed, sticks, kindling, trees! Bought her a couple of pretend sticks from pets at home which she totally ignores. Am now trying distraction with fetching a ball when out in garden.

TealGiraffe Mon 09-Jan-17 08:06:22

Squashed pop bottle with a handful of dried pasta inside. Crunches and rattles and is very good on a wooden floor as it flies round the room!

My parents lab pup has a basket full of toys, but his manky pop bottle is the fave grin

He is also a fan of an empty yoghurt pot (washed out).

When he was super little he always slept with a teddy. Obviously he was used to sleeping in a pile of pups, so liked having sonething to snuggle into / under.

StandardPoodle Mon 09-Jan-17 16:22:10

Kongs are great!
We had a blanket with the smell of the litter on too, I'm sure it helps.
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now