Talk

Advanced search

Dog terrified by high winds and storms.

(9 Posts)
Bassetfeet Wed 04-Jan-17 12:16:23

Not my own dog but my sisters abroad . A rescue but been with sister for three years with no anxiety . Walked and fed properly . Where they live fireworks are uncommon so not a recent scare .This has started in last year when weather bad .

She shakes and pants the whole time pacing the floor especially at nightfall. Allowed on the bed for cuddle and company but it isn't working . Poor wee dog and those who cannot sleep either .

I am wondering. If it is more vibration or barometric change than noise .Radio or telly on don't work either .
Mixed reviews about the plug in calmer or collar . I would send some if I thought it would work.
So any tips very gratefully received folks . Practical as well as medical .
thanks

DanielCraigsUnderpants Thu 05-Jan-17 12:34:24

You (your sister) could try bach's rescue remedy, it helps some dogs. I have had some people recommend valerian as another calming herbal supplement.

Practically, maybe offering the dog a little "cave" type area, enclosed where they can escape too and feel safer (could cover up a crate with blankets), spot under the stairs, something like that?

Rumtopf Thu 05-Jan-17 12:39:49

You can get cuddle blankets or coats for dogs with anxiety, it really does help. Sounds silly but we put one of my old tshirts (that I've worn so smells reassuring for him) on our big old dog and a snood over his head and ears. He looks a fright but it's bearable for him.

DanielCraigsUnderpants Thu 05-Jan-17 14:31:23

Oh yes Rumtopf the branded ones are called thunder shirts, they work on pressure points

Bassetfeet Thu 05-Jan-17 14:49:58

Thank you both so much for advice . Much appreciated .
Never thought of thunder shirts or t shirt coat . Will mail my sister now . She is such a sweet dog .

Bassetfeet Thu 05-Jan-17 14:53:36

Oh sorry Danielcraigs . Pressed send before thanking you for idea re safe space to escape to . She is free roamer at night so den for her to go to sounds good to me .

DanielCraigsUnderpants Thu 05-Jan-17 16:47:22

Hope something helps, I've got a stressy collie who is the same when its windy and stormy- he usually hides in my airing cupboard, He's still uptight but not pacing or panting so much

Catinthecorner Thu 05-Jan-17 16:53:08

Could she cradle him? Arm under front legs, his back to your chest, scoop his butt onto your lap and cuddle him there until he relaxes. Practice little and often before the storms until he enjoys and relaxes in that position.

Rumtopf Fri 06-Jan-17 09:38:05

That's it Danielcraig I'd forgotten the name.
Also, we leave the radio on in the kitchen for him if the wind is going to be howling round the side of the house. Just quietly but it provides enough background noise and gives him something else to listen to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now