Talk

Advanced search

Dog walk in rain

(45 Posts)
Empress13 Mon 02-Jan-17 11:06:02

Given that yesterday was awful with the rain all day my dog did not want to go out as he hates the rain with a passion! So I'm ashamed to say had one walk yesterday which was late afternoon ! Do all of you walk your dogs in the rain come what may?

TheMortificadosDragon Mon 02-Jan-17 11:09:40

Good lord, no. Mine would hate me if I tried to make him walk in the rain.

Obviously it depends on the size and breed but honestly, not all dogs need to be walked every day (even once).

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 02-Jan-17 11:29:12

If they weren't utter wimps! As it is I struggle to get them out to go to the toilet when it's wet. The younger one went to end of the road & back yesterday (about 5 minutes shorter than normal, she's only a pup). The Bernard looked out the back door, looked at me then went back to her bed grin. Personally I like wet walks, they're much quieter.

RandomMess Mon 02-Jan-17 11:43:30

Our dog detests wet, cold, wind... we struggle to get her out for a wee in rain!

We just play in the house with her more which is easy because she's a small breed.

weaselwords Mon 02-Jan-17 11:50:06

One of my dogs hates going out in the back garden when it's raining, but will happily fling himself in every puddle when out on a walk. He's weird.

Whitney168 Mon 02-Jan-17 12:37:14

Yep, all weathers here (early or late when it's very warm, obviously).

No such thing as bad weather ... just the wrong clothes!

Imaginationfailedtoload Mon 02-Jan-17 12:39:50

We do go out in all weathers but they do look at me reproachfully if it's really wet 😂😂

PorkyScratchings Mon 02-Jan-17 12:45:52

I've got two that would go out if I made them but wouldn't like it and one that won't even go into the garden if it's drizzling. 😆
If it's really bad rain I just encourage them to play in the house otherwise I take the big two out and leave the little one at home.

MadisonAvenue Mon 02-Jan-17 12:46:33

Mine hates the rain, he can't even be coaxed out of the backdoor to use the garden. Even when it's not raining he runs around puddles and mud and if he does get caught in the rain on a walk then he walks very, very close to me. If I'm walking into the rain then he walks behind me with his nose touching the back of my knees and if the rain is coming in behind then he'll be found right in front of me.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 02-Jan-17 12:47:40

one of my dog gives not one fuck about the rain, the other hates it with a passion. I don't relish getting soaked so tend not to bother.

Branleuse Mon 02-Jan-17 12:49:46

ours dont go out in the rain. I think one of them would put up with it, but the old girl would sit down and not move. Neither would enjoy it very much

SquedgieBeckenheim Mon 02-Jan-17 12:53:25

Ours wont go out in a thunderstorm, anything else is fair game to him. He likes to run for longer in the rain hmm
When we keep him in, he'll run up and down the stairs!

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Mon 02-Jan-17 12:54:03

My dad's old neighbour had an absolutely mahossive greyhound that would flat out refuse to go out in the rain, he would carry it to the green in front of the house, place it down, dog would do its stuff and then be picked up and taken indoors, all throughout this his wife would be holding a golf umbrella over the dog.

I used to love watching this routine.

Ilovecaindingle Mon 02-Jan-17 12:55:32

Took our 4 down the sea front yesterday and it hail stoned!! The wetter my rotty got the more her tail wagged. Quite bizarre!!
Lurcher in her Xmas jumper was keen to get home tho!!
Husky was oblivious to the wet and the other lurcher just wanted to eat the biggest malamute I have ever seen!

Hooleywhipper Mon 02-Jan-17 12:59:02

My dog ( 12 yr old) will go out in anything at any time. Doesn't fuss anymore to go but hears the lead and acts like puppy again!

finallyfinishedit Mon 02-Jan-17 13:01:33

I don't think it matters if they miss the odd day as long as they have company.

DoubleCarrick Mon 02-Jan-17 13:02:39

My dog refuses to go out in the garden for the toilet when it's raining and wouldn't have been impressed if we tried to walk him yesterday. He'll happily walk if it's drizzling though. Unfortunately he's on almost complete bed rest at the moment though because of his bad back!

TrionicLettuce Mon 02-Jan-17 13:06:47

The whippets absolutely hate the rain. A light drizzle is ok (as long as they're properly attired) but proper rain? No way. I used to try and get them out anyway but all they do is spend the entire walk either trying to get under my coat or very purposefully power-walking towards home so it seemed pretty pointless to bother.

Now they just get extra mental stimulation and play at home on wet days instead.

Windy weather sends them absolutely ridiculous for some reason. It's more like flying kites than walking dogs when it's properly windy hmm

hmcAsWas Mon 02-Jan-17 13:07:22

I wish my dogs hated rain, but they insist on going out twice a day whatever the weather sad

ohmygodyouguys Mon 02-Jan-17 13:13:15

My dog doesn't seem bothered by the rain so out we go! I hate getting soaked but wellies and a good waterproof coat help! Dog also has her own hairdryer for when she gets wet which saves the floors! I'm kind of hoping she'll refuse to set foot outside in snow though, we only got her in the summer so time will tell!

Hoppinggreen Mon 02-Jan-17 13:15:10

My Goldie loves it
Luckily I don't mind either

insan1tyscartching Mon 02-Jan-17 13:15:41

Yes, out in all weathers here in fact Eric really loves getting wet and dirty so he never refuses and a really wet and muddy walk is guaranteed to set off the zoomies (hopefully after I've dried him off).

CMOTDibbler Mon 02-Jan-17 13:21:06

Mine hate rain. Lurcher1 is really a special snowflake and has to have his raincoat on before he will dash out and do his business after being shoved out of the door.
Being lurchers, they aren't bothered by a day in and just sleep more grin

Fishcakey Mon 02-Jan-17 13:39:39

God no, they both hate it and one is really old so I won't force her. We have a fair sized garden. Mine are definitely fair weather dogs.

Shriek Mon 02-Jan-17 13:39:55

I love the sentiment of no such thing as bad weather just wrong clothes! And my ddogs seem to always have the right clothes! Rain or not they always find water and mud to get wet ans dirty in anyway. In the teeming rain yesterday we went for a drive to reinforce 'no ducks' training as they watch from the back of the car whilst I feed ducks through open front window which entrances them! This can take a while until youngest one settles down nicely and then they areallowed out amongst the ducks tohoover up left-over treats, toilet, and back in the car home.

But that was because of feeling rotten myself with a virus and needing to keep out of the weather.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now