Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

A few questions about our new dog if anyone can help please!

(8 Posts)
JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Mon 02-Jan-17 08:57:39

Hi all,

We adopted Buddy yesterday from a rescue home. They think he's about 1.5-2 years and had him down as a staffy cross. Me and DP are arguing about the cross. I think he looks boxer (long legs) and DP thinks Rhodesian ridgeback. Any ideas?

Also we have rabbits. Buddy likes to bark at them and try and get to them. They're very secure but is it a case of just saying no and pulling him away? Or is there anything I can put round the hutch to deter him?

Getnakedorgohome Mon 02-Jan-17 08:59:05

I would say Ridgeback because of his long slim muzzle with the dark colouring on it. He is beautiful.

shockingsocks Mon 02-Jan-17 09:54:20

I'm with ridgeback too - it's the back legs that make me think so! Lovely dog.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 02-Jan-17 10:15:56

Re the rabbits, I'd go more for rewarding good behaviour, so if he sits near them, calm, no barking, he gets a treat. If he barks and gets excited, no treat and lead him away. My dogs now look exaggeratedly at whatever it is (usually a new cat or kitten) to make sure we've seen them, then look to us hopefully for a treatsmile

JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Mon 02-Jan-17 17:20:56

I'm going to try the rewarding if he sits there. Problem will be getting him t

JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Mon 02-Jan-17 17:21:14

To sit. Fat fingers pressed post too soon!

Costacoffeeplease Mon 02-Jan-17 17:43:38

He'll soon get the ideasmile

TrionicLettuce Mon 02-Jan-17 17:53:53

This is a good article about keeping dogs in proximity with cats/small furry animals. Well worth a read. It's geared more towards cats but the same stuff applies to whatever other animals you have round the house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now