Talk

Advanced search

Labrador cruciate ligament please help!

(11 Posts)
festiveleadballoon Sun 01-Jan-17 17:27:27

Our yellow Labrador suddenly started limping 4 years ago and when we took her to the vet they said she had broke her anterior cruciate ligament. We had insurance from when we got her as a pup and the ONE thing she wasn't covered for in her policy was cruciate ligament injurys! After taking out a loan of £3000 which we really couldn't afford and had her fitted with a titanium knee we were told she will never get covered again if her other leg went the same way....

Then today after her walk she starts limping by again there's a lump on the side of her knee that feels kind of crumbly when we move it so I'm guessing the other one has gone. It's going to cost so much and we just haven't got the money I'm so scared she will have tonne put down or we end up in debt or she has it amputated . I'm just so scared I love her so so much . Please has anyone ever had experience of this before sad

festiveleadballoon Sun 01-Jan-17 17:28:41

*have to be put down
Not tonne

KinkyAfro Sun 01-Jan-17 17:55:38

How strange, my dogs cruciate op was covered and her next one will be. Who you insured with?

festiveleadballoon Sun 01-Jan-17 18:41:14

I can't remember who it was but it was through an insurance compare site so we took the cheapest cover stupidly!!! Thinking we would be ok. Looking back now I can't believe we were so reckless but learnt our lesson sad it was a torn cruciate ligament not broken and a titanium wedge in her knee not a titanium knee. My husband has read my post after I posted it and pointed out my mistakes. I'm very sorry I've had a drink with my dinner and then had another through being so upset so didn't get the facts right. I'm just so scared she will be put to sleep or be in debt it's awful

Songbirdthatsings Sun 01-Jan-17 18:56:40

Hi,
I've got plenty of experience with ruptured cruciate ligaments (lucky me eh?!). Unfortunately if the cruciate has worn, rather than been caused by an injury there's a 50% chance the other leg will go - info according to orthopaedic vet who dealt with my dog.
I know it's easy to say but there are so many things that can go wrong within a dogs legs and joints that I would try not to worry until you've consulted your vet.
In my experience with mine there wasn't anything visibly wrong with the joint and it didn't feel any different, all was confirmed via manipulation under sedation and x rays, if that makes you feel a bit better.
It is rubbish that your insurance hasn't paid out, but nothing that can be done about that. However if your dog does need further surgery you can ask for a referral to another practice. Believe it or not there are referal vets out there that offer TPLO/TTA surgery from £1500.
I'd start with your vet, try not to worry, and take it from there smile

festiveleadballoon Sun 01-Jan-17 19:04:35

Thankyou songbirdthatsings . I'm feeling so guilty and blaming everything on myself from what I feed her to the walks she gets to taking her on a field full of recently ploughed soil that is unsteady whilst we are staying away from home. I love her so so much I wish there was an NHS for pets 😢

Songbirdthatsings Sun 01-Jan-17 19:16:10

There really is absolutely nothing you can do, don't blame yourself! My dog did her second cruciate trotting up the garden path!!
My dogs have the best of everything, from the best nutrition to suit their needs, exercise, worming, mental stimulation, the works and still the one dog cost me £6000 in vets bills last year hmm
The joys of owning animals for you. But I know what you mean, it's horrible seeing them uncomfortable and worrying what's wrong. Oh and so easy to panic if you start googling the symptoms!

galaxygirl45 Sun 01-Jan-17 19:18:07

My lab was 8 when her 1st cruciate went, and due to her age and the fact she was arthritic, we chose the conservative approach initially and she had crate rest/painkillers for about 4 weeks, and the joint stabilised quite well. Then 18 months later, the other side went and again, we went through the same process. We stopped lead walks as we had a large garden and she just pottered happily around with us all day. She was PTS last January a few days after her 13th birthday. I'd try a couple of vets for their opinions, and see what they advise given her age. I honestly thought ours would have to be PTS after her 2nd went, but she came out the other side. If your dog is a lot younger, then it could be different for you. So sorry for your poor pooch, it's put me off ever owning another lab.

galaxygirl45 Sun 01-Jan-17 19:21:14

When I said it could be different, i meant surgery could be viable....do you have an rspca hospital nearby??

StuntNun Sun 01-Jan-17 19:27:31

My lab ruptured her cruciate ligament and the surgery wasn't too expensive, £500 iirc although it was a while ago. Then she ruptured her Achilles' tendon on the other back leg and we decided not to go ahead with surgery as it was going to cost £1200 with no guarantee of success and she would have been crated for six months post-op. Instead we got her a custom-made orthotic support from Orthopets. With the orthotic she was able to keep mobile for another 4 or 5 years whereas without it she would have had to be put down. It might be worth enquiringly whether they can do anything for your dog.

StuntNun Sun 01-Jan-17 19:44:31

I haven't got good photos but the first shows the damage to the leg - her hock is flat to the floor. The second shows the orthotic itself. Since she had previously ruptured her cruciate on the other side we had enquiries about getting an orthotic for the whole leg if required and that would have been possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now