Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Green lipped mussel or turmeric

(10 Posts)
KinkyAfro Sat 31-Dec-16 21:58:26

Has anyone used either of these as a natural antiinflammatory for their dog? Dog has been taken off her NSAIDS due to stomach issues so wanted something natural

BestIsWest Sat 31-Dec-16 22:09:57

Yes, we did. Our dog had a poorly knee and we gave him these, think it was Yumove. Definitely helped him.

BestIsWest Sat 31-Dec-16 22:12:01

Sorry, pressed enter too soon. We used to put a little turmeric in with his food every day.

Bubble2bubble Sat 31-Dec-16 23:09:25

I know a lot of people who swear by Yumove.
A friend recently started her elderly arthritic dog on a supplement containing Devils Claw and it has genuinely worked wonders. ( I have seen Devils claw work for humans as an anti- inflammatory but never in dogs before)

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 01-Jan-17 08:29:42

The only complementary product that has any studies backing it up as helping arthritis is omega 3 so I would go for Yumove if I was choosing just one product.

Whatslovegottodo Sun 01-Jan-17 08:37:43

Yumove advance is what you want for the right amount of Omega 3 EPA.
I would choose these fish oils over turmeric as Omega 3 is proven by peer reviewed studies (the highest level of study which looks at all the other studies that have been done) to work in dogs with arthritis.

shockingsocks Mon 02-Jan-17 11:08:38

I use both, plus a supplement called Canine Joint Right - I was sceptical but I'm not any more! If I had to choose between the two you mention I'd definitely say I noticed an improvement when we started the turmeric, not so sure about the GLMP.

bumblingmum Mon 02-Jan-17 11:43:50

We used green lipped mussel for our dogs arthritis. It really did help and the vet said that research has been positive. We also gave her cod liver oil tablets.

BagelGoesWalking Mon 02-Jan-17 15:11:05

If you're interested re. more info on turmeric, please join Turmeric User Group on FB

meganshadow2 Mon 13-Mar-17 12:52:27

Sorry if this is a bit late . My beautiful German shepherd was diagnosed with spondylitis of the spine at 3 years old , but 5 months later became very allergic to nsai , an old farmer told me to try green lipped mussel which is the only thing that she has had to keep her pain down . I must emphasize that she is a VERY boisterous dog who loves life and lives for running in the woods and playing with her ball . The vet at the time advised me to let her go at 3 & 1/2 !
SHE IS NOW 9 YEARS OLD NEXT MONTH .
If you are going to try glm then go for the human grade ( I get mine at www.zipvit.co.uk) but any good quality will do the same at 500mg . Give it about a month to notice any signs of improvement .Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now