Talk

Advanced search

Can we get a dog?

(12 Posts)
Manupprincess Thu 29-Dec-16 20:54:41

We would love to get a dog but are not sure if it's possible at the moment. DP and I both work 4 days a week and I also work from home at least one further day a week so there is someone at home 5 - 6 days a week. On the 1 - 2 days we are at work we are happy to arrange for a dog walker as required.
The problem is we have two cats and a toddler (will be 2 in march). We don't care about the breed as such other than a dog who fits with our family. We are active, live in the countryside, have a garden, lots of space inside and happy to be adaptable.
We have looked into adoption but we are being told a puppy currently being fostered is the only option due to the cats and toddler but as we are out 1 -2 days we can't have a puppy. Having a dog walker come in wasn't considered ok. We're not in a rush but want to know if we have to wait until DS is much older sad
Any suggestions? Is it possible to adopt?

Costacoffeeplease Thu 29-Dec-16 20:56:32

I would wait until your youngest child is school age really

Manumission Thu 29-Dec-16 20:57:13

DP and I both work 4 days a week and I also work from home at least one further day a week so there is someone at home 5 - 6 days a week

I don't follow. You each work outside of the home for 4 days? Mostly different days then?

Paulat2112 Thu 29-Dec-16 20:58:07

What about doggy daycare instead?

ExitPursuedBySantaSpartacus Thu 29-Dec-16 20:59:42

Wait until your child is older.

Manupprincess Thu 29-Dec-16 21:24:03

Manumission we each have a different weekday off to look after DS and neither work weekends.
Would be happy to do daycare but would this only be for an older dog?
I suppose I'm just flummoxed that so many people have dogs, kids and jobs whilst managing happily but I guess they must not be adopted dogs. I really don't want to go down another route as it just doesn't feel right to me.
With the school age - Is it just that an older child is less 'unpredictable' and loud for a dog?

Costacoffeeplease Thu 29-Dec-16 21:27:05

Partly, and also of an age to understand how to behave around the dog, no pulling of ears or tails or poking pencils in ears - it's not fair on child or dog

Manumission Thu 29-Dec-16 21:46:35

How about adopting an older dog and taking a couple of weeks off to settle it in?

Any rescue will advise on which dogs are suitable for which age of children and homes with cats.

Wolfiefan Thu 29-Dec-16 21:50:04

I would wait until 1year old nearer school age. I really would.
Child needs to be old enough not to climb on dog or grab ears or tail. And to cope on walks.
A dog walker is great but for a dog left for an entire day I would consider doggy daycare.

Cherrysoup Thu 29-Dec-16 21:53:51

I honestly don't understand how rescues ever re-home given their stringent requirements about only people who are at home constantly being allowed a dog. It's no wonder the puppy market is so rampant. Smaller rescues will more likely consider you, OP, avoid the dread RSPCA.

Puppies can be extremely hard work: I had the puppy blues in a big way (maybe a tiny bit like PND but obviously no way near so bad). If you can cope with that, then fine. I'll link you some interesting reading in a sec.

Cherrysoup Thu 29-Dec-16 21:55:26

Getting a dog/puppy.
www.petforums.co.uk/threads/thinking-of-getting-a-dog-puppy-the-realities.134055/

Paulat2112 Fri 30-Dec-16 12:52:52

Some daycare places will take pups and some won't. Just have to look around. Also there are dog boarders and day care that work from home which might be more suited for a pup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now