Talk

Advanced search

Why is she growling??

(9 Posts)
SleepForTheWeak Tue 27-Dec-16 20:04:45

We have an amazing lurcher - she's friendly, calm, well behaved, lazy and just generally a joy. We've had her for 4 years, adopted from a rescue centre which took her in as a stray just a couple weeks before we got her. She was approx 1-2 when we got her. We have a 2yo DD who she's great with.

She's generally a very submissive dog, she shies away from other dogs, and was bitten about a year ago which made her a bit more anxious.

All of a sudden, she's started growling and curling her lip up at a couple dogs which are owned by family members and she's known for a while (with the exception of SIL puppy who she's only met a couple times recently). It's usually if there's food about, which previously she couldn't have cared less about. She doesn't beg and isn't food orientated. She's also growled at a couple of puppies l too if they've got a bit too friendly (which is understandable)

What could be causing this and can we do anything to stop it? It's unsettling seeing her behave like that (although I know it's quite natural between dogs) when she's previously been nothing but gentle and quite submissive. We have a new baby due in June and her change in behaviour is disturbing me.

99% of the time there are no issues, she's genuinely a bloody fantastic job, but I want to understand this new behaviour and where it's coming from.

TIA

Shriek Tue 27-Dec-16 23:04:41

Your pregnancy could be triggering anxiety/protecting in her. It is quite alarming to react this way to a pup unless pup being really in her face amd needing putting straight!

How is she if you are not around when others visit?

SleepForTheWeak Tue 27-Dec-16 23:33:04

Ah perhaps, although there was no change in her behaviour when I was pregnant with DD. They are definitely just warning growls when the puppy was climbing over her or sniffing her bum too much (she HATES that). She's never snapped, but then again I'd never heard her growl at another dog before until a few months ago.

She's done it when I've not been in too.

Shriek Wed 28-Dec-16 01:32:43

As a less than 2yr old when you were
previously pregnant behaviour and development at very different level and now very much mature and more aware of others goings on.

I would alwys suggest visit to vet to ensure nothing going on medically before anything else. Could be in pain.

Is she asserting a particular stance over other ddogs or just growling wanting to be left alone?

SleepForTheWeak Wed 28-Dec-16 09:04:46

I would say she's definitely trying to make her presence known. We've been at my mums house for 5/6 days and it's only happened twice with her older (submissive) dog, and both times was because of food. They generally get on fine, although as I said she doesn't really bother with other dogs normally

Shriek Wed 28-Dec-16 13:15:32

Oh. Sorry I didnt understand that you were at your dm's house when this started?

SleepForTheWeak Wed 28-Dec-16 23:07:58

It's happened with SiL's puppy in our house, and a puppy who was trying to say hello to her while out on a walk and I was talking to the owner.

Never seen her curl her lip before this week though. She's been fine the last couple of days, seems so strange and out of character

NewNNfor2017 Wed 28-Dec-16 23:10:56

Get her thoroughly checked out at the vet - a grumpier-than-usual dog is often in discomfort or pain even if nothing is obviously apparent.

SleepForTheWeak Thu 29-Dec-16 08:40:08

She had a thorough check over about a month ago as I thought she's been more lethargic than normal(although she's a very lazy dog normally so hard to tell!!). I'll take her back and get her to check her bloods maybe just to rule out illness

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now