Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Urgent, anyone awake?

(20 Posts)
OrlandaFuriosa Tue 20-Dec-16 23:16:39

DDog has bitten where the tail meets the body raw. Vet in the morning.

Can I put eg antiseptic for humans on it now, or Vaseline to stop him doing it? Or should I just leave it?

Rubberduckies Tue 20-Dec-16 23:17:50

I would try to leave it- got a collar of shame to stop him making it worse overnight?

SuperManStoleMyPants Tue 20-Dec-16 23:19:08

Could you put a sock or something on to stop him bothering it?

SuperManStoleMyPants Tue 20-Dec-16 23:20:06

Sorry I read tail as nail. I'm going to bed now hmmgrin

Salt water and cone of shame?

PacificDogwod Tue 20-Dec-16 23:20:22

I would leave him be.

It'll be his anal glands... <voice of doom>

OrlandaFuriosa Tue 20-Dec-16 23:22:08

Unfortunately he is a Houdini when it comes to collars of shame. Rips the felt or cardboard ones, eyed the plastic one for the weak links where the press studs are and within 30 seconds or a touch more it was non functional. Intelligent terrier.

BiggerBoatNeeded Tue 20-Dec-16 23:22:15

Leave it I think. Just recalling my friend accidentally poisoning his cat with Dettol...

OrlandaFuriosa Tue 20-Dec-16 23:23:22

Yup, reckon it probably is anal glands.

Crispbutty Tue 20-Dec-16 23:24:37

If you have Sudocrem you can put that on it

AnUtterIdiot Tue 20-Dec-16 23:24:40

Agree: leave it. It won't stop him bothering it anyway. My vet did not approve of my husband using spray on savlon on our idiot dog's cat bite.

OrlandaFuriosa Tue 20-Dec-16 23:30:04

I so hate anal glands.

DaysLikeThis1 Tue 20-Dec-16 23:30:33

As Crisp said, Sudocrem is what my vet advised to help soothe the area when my dog had problems recently. It was really uncomfortable for her but with medication cleared up in a few days.

Chickenagain Tue 20-Dec-16 23:30:59

Anti histamine tablet, if you have one. Sounds like a flea allergy. Generally, with impacted anal glands they like to scoot along the floor on their ass. Hilarious to watch, but unhygienic & could get a splinter.
Have a rummage through his fur in that area and if there are little black dots, that is the flea dirt & will confirm their presence.

daisydotandgertie Tue 20-Dec-16 23:33:51

Try this m.youtube.com/watch?v=pszNSfn7lzc and a Piriton for overnight relief.

LadyDeadpool Tue 20-Dec-16 23:41:46

Flea allergy, My terrier developed it when we moved house. Chewed himself raw. Flea collars and antihistamines and we've not had the issue since.

madgingermunchkin Tue 20-Dec-16 23:46:31

You need to be careful with sudocream though. If they lick too much off then it is toxic too them. I'd just give it a good clean and leave for the night. Not much more you can do.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Tue 20-Dec-16 23:48:55

Bathe with salt water. That is our usual dog injury clean up solution before a vet visit.

Mungobungo Wed 21-Dec-16 00:05:29

Could be anal glands or an allergy (fleas most likely).

One of our pups had an infected anal gland and he didn't scoot at all, just licked at it constantly and left little stinky chocolate starfishes everywhere he sat.

One of our others has developed an allergy to flea bites and he bites himself raw if he gets bitten. That usually comes hand in hand with redness and broken skin though so a little easier to determine.

You could try a small amount of piriton in case it's an allergy and a very thin smear of sudocrem if there's obvious redness and irritation. Otherwise I'd say leave it alone for tonight and get to the vet first thing tomorrow.

Ylvamoon Wed 21-Dec-16 22:32:42

Did you see the vet? How did you get on? Also wanted to add, that you can get an antibacterial powder for dogs (Amazon or ebay), that will help with healing and keeping the wound clean! Don't use human staff, as some ingredients are poisonous for dogs.

OrlandaFuriosa Thu 22-Dec-16 01:40:25

Thanks v much everyone. Got to the vet first thing. He decided it was prob anal glands and they were full, and gave me cream to put on 2x per day. DDog already a bit happier. Now yapping and whining madly AS wants to fight the vixen in the garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now