Talk

Advanced search

Dog has been neutered today

(8 Posts)
applesareredandgreen Mon 19-Dec-16 18:47:52

We have had our 6 month old JRT neutered today. He is sitting with the post-op cone on his head and he is so sad. We've been advised to try to keep the cone on for 2 weeks if he is by himself although we can take it off if we are there to stop him scratching/ biting. At the moment we thought we would leave it on so as to not further upset him by pulling it on and off over his head. We have to go back for check up on Thursday.

I was wondering what other people have done in respect of the head cone and what we can expect over the next few days regarding his recovery / moods etc. The vet has given some painkillers for him. He just seems so sad.

We've done it this week because of there being somebody at home with him (in case anyone was wondering why we would do just before Christmas)

lovelycats Mon 19-Dec-16 18:53:54

Our dog was completely straightforward. No stitches. Extremely sad and wobbly when we first got him home, refused food. 12 hrs later he was normal again.

Keep the cone on while he's alone. You could ask the vet for a more comfortable inflatable collar. We used one for our bitch when she was spayed because she HATED the cone.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 19-Dec-16 18:57:28

Our dog never went near his stitches so we kept the cone off during the day, but closely monitored. During the night, or if we went out, we gave him a soft cone bought from Amazon.

TheCrowFromBelow Mon 19-Dec-16 18:58:55

Aw poor sad dog.
Our day hates the cone of doom on day 1, by day 2 he's adjusted to it.
One thing I found that helps is when you put it on, hold a high value treat in the opening so they have to poke their muzzle through to get it. He looked slightly less sad and more hopeful after we'd done it a few times!
I used good boy choc drops blush sausage or cheese is probably better.

CinderellaFant Mon 19-Dec-16 19:13:19

Our dog hates the Cone, we felt so sorry for him. The next day I went to pets at home and explained, and the vets in there sold me a medical suit, it was like a baby vest with poppers and it was much better for him!

applesareredandgreen Mon 19-Dec-16 20:09:14

That's a good idea re a more comfy cone. I'll pop into pet store tomorrow as I think I saw some in there. Wish I'd thought earlier.

We were also advised to try not to let him run up/down stairs or jump up things so I don't know how this is going to work when he's more himself tomorrow as he likes running after his squeaky toys then jumping on the chair with them.

lovelycats Mon 19-Dec-16 20:50:39

To be honest I didn't get that sort of advice for my dog. The only stipulation was to keep the area clean/not allow rolling around in mud. Its very different to the major abdominal surgery a bitch has, which means a quiet few weeks. Our dog was back to normal routine after 3 or 4 days, although we kept him quiet to prevent any trauma to the area, so no rolly polly playing with other dog or running around like a nutter! We also have JRTs smile

TattyCat Mon 19-Dec-16 23:30:13

Just had our girl spayed and 10 days later, she appears to be healing well. We went for the medical t-shirt but after the 2nd or 3rd night, I came down in the morning to find her bunched up on the sofa unable to move. She'd managed to get both back legs inside the suit and couldn't get them back out again. On the plus side, it meant she hadn't moved for some time but she looked very, very sorry for herself, poor mite.

We couldn't use the cone - the house is being renovated and the space we currently utilise is just too small - she really wouldn't have coped without hurting herself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: