Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for a change of food for DDog3 please

(6 Posts)
MelchettsTinslyMoustache Sun 18-Dec-16 07:43:20

Currently all three are on Burns Alert (identical formula to regular Burns I believe, but VAT free as classes as a working formula) This is the holy grail of dog foods, reasonably priced and suits all three dogs so have been reluctant to change so far.
DDog3 however is loopy. She does either asleep or absolutely off her tits, there's no middle ground. She's 2 1/2 now and I'd sort of convinced myself that she would calm down as she got older, but so far there's not an inkling <sobs>
She will do a long walk with our other two (working cockers) and come back and spend the next hour mooching about trying to encourage them (unsuccessfully!) to play with her. The second I move rooms she's up and full of beans, she's first up and last to bed and just seems to have boundless energy.
I have a couple of strategies to try in the new year but I wondered if a change of diet would be an easy starting place? I know she's hardly being shovelled full of Bakers complete but is there anything I could try initially? I have raw fed in the past but don't have the freezer space to store enough for three and can't logistically see how I can do it for one and not the others confused

dotdash Sun 18-Dec-16 07:48:39

we had a similar problem with our dog, ridiculously high energy levels. We were advised to start her on a low protein food.
We had her on this one. It really worked.
She's over 4 years old no and seems to have calmed down a lot!

1004Rise Sun 18-Dec-16 09:39:24

Skinners is good, the problem you will have is compared to burns the output from the back end will double (and you have to feed more) we went from skinners to burns for this reason. Sorry not a solution just for you to be aware off.

MelchettsTinslyMoustache Sun 18-Dec-16 09:59:48

Thanks, we spent a considerable period of time on Skinners duck and rice and actually reverted to Burns due to the volume of <ahem> output grin
The upside would be we would likely only change her diet, so only one lot of mega poo to deal with.

In principle I'm not hugely bothered on price if it has a positive effect, though obviously the cheaper the better!

Lifeisontheup2 Sun 18-Dec-16 10:01:40

Could you try Devoted dog food? My Border Collie is very calm on it.

EasyToEatTiger Sun 18-Dec-16 13:54:03

Working formula is going to be higher protein than regular dog food. We used to feed Burns and got on well with it until our then dogs were older and it became harder to maintain weight and condition. It's really boring and tiresome to have to read all the ingredients and food facts on dog food to find something that might be more appropriate. I have been advised for our wirey dog that a raw diet would help solve her wiriness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now