Talk

Advanced search

What type of dog? Possibly one for lurcher lovers.

(7 Posts)
MrsT2007 Sat 17-Dec-16 17:57:48

At the first stages of looking at possibly getting a dog.

We have a rehome day lurcher in the family who is gorgeous, but possibly a tad large for us.

Im at home all day, kids are 3 & 8 but sensible and dog aware.

I'd rather rehome than go down the puppy route.

Are whippet crosses as lovely as the greyhound ones? That may be the ideal four legged friend for us if that's the case.

Personally I love border terriers and miniature schnauzer type dogs but I'm aware with young children I'll only be able to do one good field walk a day and a couple of 'leg stretch' round the village ones.

Any other suggestions of smaller breeds/types that might suit us?

CMOTDibbler Sat 17-Dec-16 18:57:01

Yes, whippety lurchers are lovely - one of my dogs is whippety and is a delight. Both my lurchers are from EGLR, and I'm puppy fostering for them at the moment

slinkysaluki Sat 17-Dec-16 19:09:14

Currently fostering a whippet x and he is fab, in fact I think im going to keep him !

MrsT2007 Sat 17-Dec-16 19:36:53

Oh I keep looking at the ELGR page, I live nearby too.

CMOTDibbler Sat 17-Dec-16 19:46:25

I live nearby too, so if you wanted to meet my hounds you'd be very welcome.

mollie123 Sun 18-Dec-16 06:26:15

lurchers are a mixed bunch and come in all shapes and sizes (as well as hairiness)
my lurcher is not the largest I have known but he is so gentle and lovely his size (other than his bed taking up a lot of room in the kitchen) is immaterial. I am 5ft tall and can place my hand on his head comfortably without bending down which is a big plus smile
CMOT - I think you live close to me as I am also close to EGLR and am unable to resist looking at their rescue dogs. Must resist when I inevitably lose my 'lurch' who is now 13. sad
Maybe I could go for a whippet cross .

MrsT2007 Sun 18-Dec-16 08:50:51

Yeah I think they're super dogs, & ideal for us fairly rookie owners (used to dogs in the family but not had our own).

Other family lurcher is a big tall girl and her sofa stealing habit means there's often no room for anyone else!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now