Talk

Advanced search

What breed?

(9 Posts)
whatdayisittomorrow Sat 17-Dec-16 13:18:54

We're thinking about getting a dog and are wondering about beagles, do they make good family dogs? I've heard they are quite difficult to train... Would love to hear from people who have some experience of these dogs.

MrsJayy Sat 17-Dec-16 13:21:40

Dh friend had a beagle it was stubborn aloof and did whay it liked tbf it was obedient it didn't destroy anything but my god it was a stubborn dog and howly very howly

WeAllHaveWings Sun 18-Dec-16 18:13:09

I have seen quite a few beagles around, but I have never seen one off lead. Even at puppy training class the trainer said it was a challenge most beagle owners never achieved.

3boys3dogshelp Sun 18-Dec-16 18:15:49

Not good family dogs from what I have seen/heard of them through work sorry, no. They appear to need a huge time commitment and extremely consistent and determined owners to train them well. Not ideal if you have a family.

paddypants13 Sun 18-Dec-16 18:17:59

From what I understand of the breed they can suffer from very bad separation anxiety. I also know them to be bad for recall, typical scent hound.

Plaintalkin Sun 18-Dec-16 18:32:31

They can be incredibly destructive if left alone .

BagelGoesWalking Sun 18-Dec-16 19:20:24

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_doghouse/1912660-Do-you-own-a-Beagle

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pets/a475636-which-dog-thinking-of-a-beagle

Just stick "beagle" into the search box and you'll find loads of threads answering your question

As a teen my best friend was a dog walker for a beagle. That one was fine in a family, not barky, good off the lead and had reliable recall. Think it must have been an anomaly from what I've read about the breed since though.

Why do you want a beagle specifically- the size and look, or...?

TeddyIsaHe Mon 19-Dec-16 16:37:57

Have you had a dog before? If not, beagles are 100% not suitable for first time owners, in my opinion. They are hounds, and as such need to be trained specifically. I would never let a beagle off-lead unless in a totally secure environment, as their scent-drive is so so strong. They also need at least 90 minutes good exercise a day, coupled with lots of mental stimulation, or they do become destructive and angsty.

I do think a working breed needs some sort of work to keep them happy, even if not in the breed's typical sense then at least agility training, or similar. Beagles need to work their noses, it's what they're bred to do, so that would need to be a large part of their daily life.

Don't choose a dog on looks alone, do as much research on their needs as possible. I know so many people that have chosen a dog because of size or look and not realised how much work needs to go into looking after them. And I say this with lots of experience of working dogs, having had bonkers spaniels all my life! I love them dearly, but the training and exercise is a constant thing. They don't suddenly get to adulthood and become lazy and perfect. Out every morning and night without fail, or you end up with a pup that just has no purpose and finds it in other ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now