Talk

Advanced search

Help - fur matting

(4 Posts)
Flipflopflipflop Sat 17-Dec-16 09:21:04

Hi,

Any suggestions on how to de-mat fur? My little ball of fluff (shih tzu - bichon frise cross) gets her fur totally matted, just had to cut a few clumps out of it.

She is brushed daily and combed thoroughly but it seems as soon as we have done that, her fur just ties itself in knots!

She is groomed every two months but last time they had to shave her completely as she was so matted. It doesn't seem to bother her but obviously I don't want this to happen...

Any tips?

TheFlyingFauxPas Sat 17-Dec-16 12:01:39

I got some detangling spray which also seemed to prevent too much matting. It's belpher or whatever that brand is. Ddog didn't like me spraying it on him so I spray it on him and run it through his coat. It's got almond oil in it. Otherwise... Hairnet?

Ylvamoon Sat 17-Dec-16 14:37:44

Get an under coat rake ... best grooming tool I have bought!
Also, bath your dog regularly with dog shampoo & conditioner, use your comb or a slicker brush whilst drying to keep them tangles out.

Whitney168 Sat 17-Dec-16 16:22:47

This is a fab little tool for getting out the starts of knots without hurting the dog: www.amazon.co.uk/Mikki-6376006-Matt-Breaker/dp/B00N0Y2DHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481991467&sr=8-1&keywords=mikki+matt

Not very familiar with ST type coat, but in general grooming terms - it sounds as if you are grooming regularly enough, but just in case - when you are doing it, the areas that tend to knot the most are behind the ears, behind the 'elbows', so special attention to those.

As a previous poster said, it sounds as if you poss need a spray to stop the tangling. This company's products are normally excellent: www.groomers-online.com/groomers-and-animal-professionals-c1/bathing-c16/styling-c17/groomers-light-groom-and-detangle-spray-p941

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now