Talk

Advanced search

My dogs collar snapped today

(20 Posts)
TheGiantSausage Wed 14-Dec-16 22:09:18

I was walking my precious first dog today, we'd just crossed a busy main road when her collar snapped and she was free! My heart was in my mouth but my often stu born, terrible-at-recall dog stopped and sat down when I shouted her name, allowing me to grab her.
I was shaking and I still feel really unnerved by it now.
I've led quite an easy life but honestly, I've never had such a knotted stomach!
I'm so proud of my little nightmare for not legging it and so thankful that nothing terrible happened.
Just sharing to get it off my chest and also to remind people to invest in strong collars and to give their dogs an extra cuddle tonight, just because

Scuttlebutter Wed 14-Dec-16 22:13:51

So glad your beautiful dog is OK. This is one of the reasons we are incredibly fussy about the collars and leads we use. We mainly use Meggie Moo martingales and leads as they are regularly and thoroughly tested in an engineering lab. It's always worth checking this when you buy collars. We also use a Lupine collar/lead for our smaller dog and the quality is excellent.

TheGiantSausage Wed 14-Dec-16 22:32:54

Thank you Scuttlebutter, we had a blueberry one but changed to a 'pretty girly one'. Stupidest thing I ever did. We have reverted back to blueberry plus harness for extra security grin
I'd never have forgiven myself if anything would have happened.

FishChipsAndBeans Thu 15-Dec-16 07:36:02

Oh God, my heart was in my mouth reading this. So glad your dog is ok.

We use Ezy Dog harness - they got good reviews for breeding well made.

FishChipsAndBeans Thu 15-Dec-16 07:36:27

*Being, not breeding ...

PossumInAPearTree Thu 15-Dec-16 07:38:04

Was it the clip which snapped or the actual material? Scary. I've always got pets at home collars but they seem quite sturdy.

hmcAsWas Thu 15-Dec-16 07:38:38

I know someone who was looking after their mother's dog when this happened, dog ran into road and was killed.

So pleased for you that your dog was unhurt and all was well.

Heyheyheygoodbye Thu 15-Dec-16 07:48:21

I was driving once and this happened to a pedestrian and the dog ran under my car. By some miracle I didn't actually hit it with any of the wheels! I parked and raced back to shriek at the man about not having the dog on a lead and he explained what had happened. We were both really upset and the dog was just sitting there like fgrin

Rumtopf Thu 15-Dec-16 07:50:24

Thank goodness she sat down!

It's scary isn't it, I've had to walk Ddog home from the playing fields using my belt as a lead before as his lead had broken. We got some strange looks but he was so well behaved.

GinIsIn Thu 15-Dec-16 07:51:52

This happened to us once but with a harness. We had only had the dog a few weeks and took her for her first groom. She was really matted and overgrown (neglect case, rescue dog), so came out several inches smaller and the harness slipped completely off before I could adjust it, sending her barrelling into a busy main road! Luckily she stopped as soon as she realised and came trotting back!

TheGiantSausage Thu 15-Dec-16 21:24:22

Oh, it was absolutely terrifying! I still can't believe she's okay.
It wad the actual collar that snapped, the material so I then didn't even have a collar to get her home with. Luckily my mums boyfriend was able to come and rescue us.
Just such a lucky escape!

NavyandWhite Thu 15-Dec-16 22:18:47

Oh no that's scary. I have a slip lead for my bigger dogs and a harness for my dachshund as I'm petrified of this happening. Would recommend either.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 16-Dec-16 07:01:13

You could always have stripped off and used your bra for a collar! grin

I had a sighthound once who backed out her collar and legged it into some woods when some brat of a kid whacked her while my back was turned in an ice cream queue. Luckily we found her quite quickly.

MardAsSnails Fri 16-Dec-16 07:07:07

Oh god this happened to us once. Thankfully in a gated area with no cars, but after the initial bounce, our bad recall old girl came trotting back and cuddled our legs and wouldn't leave my side. I think it terrified her, being somewhere without us.

TheGiantSausage Fri 16-Dec-16 08:31:49

Funny you should say about the bra (that'd be enough to scare her into running far far away), I keep thinking of what I could do now if ever it happened again... I might bring a spare collar on our walks in the future, just in case.
Heyheyhey, that must have been terrifying. I'd be a wreck if that ever happened to me!
Thanks all for your well wishes smile

If it happens again you could hold the lead by the clip end and loop it round his neck through the handle loop like a makeshift slip lead.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 16-Dec-16 19:40:29

That's a better idea than my bra plan!

EasyToEatTiger Fri 16-Dec-16 19:52:24

Yes that's happened to me too. Aaaagggghhhh! I took the collar back to the shop and was given a better one. As a result, I attached pupkin to a harness and a collar. She still pulls like a train even now she's nearly 2!

TheGiantSausage Fri 16-Dec-16 20:00:35

I did do that decaff but I was scared I was going to strangle her so ended up kind of holding her and the lead together, with me in a crouched down position IYKWIM... I'm sure it'd have been fine though, had I not had a rescuer.
Turns out she doesn't like her harness. She stopped about 25 times today and just refused to walk grin

Peopleplease Sun 18-Dec-16 11:21:55

Your heart just starts going 90 doesn't it.

First time walking baby DDaughter in her pram and DDog (golden retriever). He had his harness on. He stopped to sniff at something and I pulled the lead just as DD made a noise and I looked at her.
Looked back at dog to realise he was almost out of the harness. Luckily I realised a second before he was totally free and grabbed his collar. But had to let go of the pram. Thankfully we were on a quite country road but literally 2 seconds from a very busy main road. If DDog had gotten free and run into it he would probably been killed.

That night I ordered a perfect fit harness and a sling!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now