Talk

Advanced search

We just reserved a greyhound!

(68 Posts)
Boynamedsue Sat 10-Dec-16 22:15:23

He's coming come on Friday and we're so excited. He's 3 years old, an ex racer and so beautiful, I love him already. We've researched the breed and are planning on buying a bed, coat and tag (he comes with a collar and lead and 6 weeks insurance). We think we'll transition to a raw diet but will do the mix he's used to to start.

Anyone else got one? Anything we've forgotten?! I'm stupidly excited!

carpedonut Sat 10-Dec-16 22:39:34

Love love love these skinny dimwits. Expect laziness, theft of food and stinky farts grin

elQuintoConyo Sat 10-Dec-16 22:40:54

My sister has 3, they are fabulous! Enjoy!

CMOTDibbler Sat 10-Dec-16 22:42:58

Ooh, congratulations! I have two lurchers, and am fostering two greyhound puppies at the moment.

For tags, I buy mine from this ebay seller as they are very good quality and price. Buy several as they have a tendency to go missing

Coats - you can't go wrong with a Milgi imo. Unless your house is very warm, they need an indoor fleece and an outdoor warm/waterproof coat.

You obv need bowls (we use ones on a stand), grooming mitt, toys, poo bags, training treats (the more interesting the better - mine love the atomic drops from treats2sit4), and you might want a muzzle until you are sure about their reaction to cats/squirrels etc

sooperdooper Sat 10-Dec-16 22:44:39

Hurrah smile we have a wonderful lazy daft greyhound, they make wonderful pets

GinIsIn Sat 10-Dec-16 22:46:32

Amazing - they're fab dogs! Just be prepared for the immense levels of laziness grin

You may also want to get a greyhound fleece or two for indoors - they can feel the cold. And especially whilst you are settling in altogether just be wary of the fact that ex-racers in particular have a strong prey drive for little fluffies so keep a tight grip on the lead near cats and small dogs. Congrats and good luck!

Boynamedsue Sat 10-Dec-16 22:46:56

Thanks everyone, CMOT the rescue provide a muzzle too (forgot to mention that!) And he'll definitely be muzzled out and about until we get to know him. Thanks so much for the recommendations, will look into!

NoTractorsAtTheTable Sat 10-Dec-16 22:47:23

Oh congrats! We had our ancient border terrier PTS no so long ago, and there's a dog shaped hole in our life that I think a greyhound would fill nicely. Can we get a picture when he arrives? smile

MauiPooTroll Sat 10-Dec-16 22:49:27

And greyhounds need PJs in winter for lounging in my experience - a friend's greyhound has a very fetching tartan set! I'd also recommend a good comfy harness for walks - they can get spooked easily and slip their collars.

Congrats - imo they're the best dogs, so gentle and loving smilesmile

But as a pp said, expect stinky farts, their tummies seem to be notoriously dodge...

Boynamedsue Sat 10-Dec-16 22:52:58

Definitely pics when he arrives, he's lovely so deserves a showing off! Will look into PJs for him, our floor is quite cold, he'll have a bed and a duvet to bulk it up a bit but don't want him to be cold!

cantpooinpeace Sat 10-Dec-16 22:54:41

Welcome to the Greyhound gang, we have a 5 year old rescue & she is so graceful & calm - our love grows for her year on year!

I

Scuttlebutter Sat 10-Dec-16 23:03:50

Welcome to the pointy club! And warning - it's very hard to stop at one - they are strangely addictive. Your bed and sofa will now be permanently colonised by a long legged pointy nosed beauty, who will be an amazing combination of stunning supermodel, hilarious clown, criminal mastermind and snuggle monster.

They are gentle, affectionate, lovable, shine like glossy thoroughbreds, and you will never ever get over the awe of watching them run - it is truly one of the most majestic and inspiring sights you will see.

And then there's the farts. I recommend a good supply of scented candles.

My personal recommendation is always to go for Meggie moo collars. Safety tested martingales which are beautifully made and crafted and perfect for pointies. NEVER EVER use an extending lead or a narrow collar with a sighthound.

And happily there's a wonderful collection of people here who adore greyhounds so please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything we can help with.

And we'll definitely need to see pics!!

CrazyGreyhoundLady Sat 10-Dec-16 23:04:27

Congratulations!!! I have two, they are amazing dogs. YY to the coat, in this weather you will need it for taking him out (one of mine cries if she gets cold). As for the bed mine have loads but they prefer my duvet and the sofas/beds. Would also have a look at martingale collars, my two came with the fishtail style and the boy found he could escape, plus they are so pretty!!!

Please come back Friday and share some photos of your new furbaby grin

Boynamedsue Sat 10-Dec-16 23:13:56

Thank you, we saw our boy run today, it was amazing. The collar they provide is a martingale, I think we'll look for our own but it'll be a martingale anyway.

There will be pics on Friday for sure!

Pumpkintopf Sat 10-Dec-16 23:25:02

We have a beautiful ex racing greyhound. She's wonderful xx

officerhinrika Sat 10-Dec-16 23:38:58

You won't stop at one collar! Collars for all occasions in this house. DDog will be changing into her Christmas one tomorrow. Congratulations too, they are such lovely dogs to live with.

AnUtterIdiot Sun 11-Dec-16 00:43:42

They are fabulous! We conquered the farts by putting ours on Burgess Sensitive Superdog and avoiding gluteny treats.

Floggingmolly Sun 11-Dec-16 00:51:34

This is our ex racer, Ollie. Daft as a brush!

carpedonut Sun 11-Dec-16 08:49:03

Xmas collar grin

Photos please!

ChocolateIsNotSleep Sun 11-Dec-16 08:57:52

Oh, oh, oh I want one too!! We had the most beautiful boy for 10 years. He was huge and the softest lad you could ever meet.

Be warned - you'll have to stop leaving anything out as they can be expert thieves! The butter dish was a particular favourite - although he was so refined with it, he'd carefully carry the dish to his sofa (yes we got him one of his own!!), cross his paws and slowly lick all the butter off! We learnt after a week or so that there was literally nowhere on the worktop that was safe! He did have a beautifully glossy coat though!

RebelandaStunner Sun 11-Dec-16 09:02:56

Congrats. Make lots of space on the bed and sofa fwink

onlymrsmac Sun 11-Dec-16 09:05:37

I would love to rehome a greyhound! Been researching it for ages, just need DH to check me round and to the idea.

He's worried that our 12 year old spaniel will be stressed sad

There are 2 at our local RSPCA, they're just wonderful. My friend has 2 and they are such wonderful dogs, I will keep at it!

How are they with small children? My DD is nearly 3, and loves DDog more than anything..... she can be a bit rough though!!

Can't wait to see pics smile

onlymrsmac Sun 11-Dec-16 09:06:07

Come round to the idea!! Bloody auto correct

MissisBee Sun 11-Dec-16 09:09:26

My sister and parents are getting one soon, had their home check this week. They're all very excited, apparently it had to be shown how to go up steps!

MissisBee Sun 11-Dec-16 09:13:33

My parents and sister and getting one soon, had their home check this week. Here she is trying out her new living room.
Apparently they had to teach her how to go up steps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now