Talk

Advanced search

Precious first dog ridiculousness

(15 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Thu 08-Dec-16 10:26:19

Just spent time sewing up four toys that awesomedog has ripped. Reasonable? Yes? Not when you make sure you use matching cotton!!grinhmmblush.

And little monkey has only had it a few minutes and it sounds like she's ripping it again..

pigsDOfly Thu 08-Dec-16 19:36:36

Yeah, not sure about the matching threadsmile

My dog has a precious toy she'd had almost all her 5 years of life. Apart from her that and her ball she rarely plays with any of her other toys so, no matter how tatty the toy becomes I won't make her part with it.

I've patched it a few times where she's made a hole near it's leg causing the stuffing to come out - I'm not as good as you and I just found some strong material that sort of matched - but she's never pleased with the patch and always attacks it until she can make a good hole again.

Actually, thinking about it, maybe she's just pulling out the stitches because the colour's wrong.

Can see you're really getting into this dog owning lark grin

user1471453601 Thu 08-Dec-16 19:40:50

My dog is a ripper of toys, she's a staffy. But One toy she loves and will not even put her teeth on is a rather large sheep. No idea why, she just loves it and likes it to be put in her bed at night.

Everything else gets ripped apart

pigsDOfly Thu 08-Dec-16 19:48:11

Oh that's funny User, my dog's special toy is a sheep as well. When she was a puppy she would also rip toys up - always tore the face of them for some reason - but this sheep she's always treated with the upmost care, apart from the join between one of it's back legs, as I said in my post above.

Maybe there's a special bond between sheep and dogssmile

Goingtobeawesome Thu 08-Dec-16 20:39:21

It's sad throwing things out but I came have her eating the stuffing.

I've seen some tough toys, is she old enough for them?

pigsDOfly Fri 09-Dec-16 13:20:28

No, she definitely mustn't eat the stuffing, which is why I keep patching the sheepsmile Also, dogs really can get attached to certain toys and it seems really mean to just take away something they love.

Not sure if the really tough toys are okay for a young dog, someone else will probably know, but have you tried giving her a stag bar. They come in various levels of hardness - the darker the colour the harder the bar I think. My dog had them as a puppy and loved them.

Goingtobeawesome Fri 09-Dec-16 14:22:32

I will keep sewing things up then. I wasn't sure if it was meaner to keep taking them away to be fixed rather than just buy her new toys. The shops I bought them from change their stock so I can't replace with the same for them all.

Is a stag bar the antler things?

pigsDOfly Fri 09-Dec-16 15:35:08

Yes that's it. I think stag bar is a trade name.

I did think about replacing my dog's sheep with a new one, I've seen the same one on line, but it just won't smell the same and it would be all clean; somehow think a nice new clean sheep just wouldn't be the same.

Goingtobeawesome Fri 09-Dec-16 18:23:33

But her new one started as clean and not smelling of the house. It will still look like the original. Might confuse her to see two together though

pigsDOfly Fri 09-Dec-16 18:55:35

Yes it started clean but it now smells of her, another one would smell strange.

Two the same is probably not a good idea. Have an image of poor dog running through the house yelling 'aah I'm seeing double' smile

Goingtobeawesome Fri 09-Dec-16 19:27:58

When we were wondering if awesomedog was waking up too early because she was lonely I spent the night with her soft toy shape down my top so it smelt of mummy blush. I also slept with a new toy I'd bought her. I'm clearly losing the plot.

pigsDOfly Fri 09-Dec-16 19:54:39

Yeah, sounds like you've definitely lost the plot grin.

Although, I'm ashamed to say my dog usually sleeps on my bed, so I'm not going to judge you for stuffing dog toys down your top - well maybe a bit smile

Goingtobeawesome Fri 09-Dec-16 20:15:30

I'd love her to sleep on my bed...

pigsDOfly Mon 12-Dec-16 13:18:56

Thought of your post here Awsome when I was patching my dog's sheep this morning.

We'd just come back from a very muddy run in the park and normally she'd have a sleep so I thought it would be a good time to patch up the toy.

She must have realised what I was doing though, because she came downstairs as soon as I started sewing and sat beside me the whole time watching every move I made; just taking time out to have a drink and bark at something outside. Each time she came back to sit beside me, every so often making little whimpering type noises and watching me like a hawk.

When I'd finished I showed her the sheep and she had a good look and sniff at the patch. We had a little game with it and she gave me a lick on my arm, almost as if to say thank you, but then proceeded to bite at the stitches.

Clearly, she's not going to be happy until she's remade the hole. Not sure what I'll do then as it's getting to the stage where there's more patch than sheep on that legsmile

Goingtobeawesome Wed 18-Jan-17 15:14:57

Obviously wanted to make sure you'd sewn him up right!grin.

I've had to throw out three toys today as she chewed so much off them I was worried they weren't safe. Poor Father Christmas has lost his belt and a leg but her kong has survived so far...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now