what does your dog do when at home?

(21 Posts)
therealpippi Sun 27-Nov-16 16:52:51

Aside for the walks how much do you interact with your dog once at home?

Mine are not puppies anymore but nor old and they seem to sleep all the time. However I am sure they'd be up to play if we were too but life seems just too busy.

(They get plenty of walks and attention and they are not left on their own for long either.)

PlayOnWurtz Sun 27-Nov-16 16:55:20

Spends a lot of time staring at me and placing a paw on my leg. Also seems to love sitting like a meerkat having climbed up one of us to do so.

Otherwise sleeping and cuddling seem to suffice

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 27-Nov-16 16:59:16

We have french doors in our living room looking out to the front garden so they spend a lot of time birdie watching. They bark in the back garden at other dogs which drives me nuts. They spend a lot of time dragging each other around on rope toys. Or they're sleeping.

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 27-Nov-16 17:00:49

Or getting into the recycling!

Maudlinmaud Sun 27-Nov-16 17:04:53

Mine employs team work with the cat to get things off kitchen counters. Everything has to be put away as soon as its used or its gone.
Cat pushes things off and dog eats it etc. Very tiresome but I suspect the cat is the mastermind for sheer devilment.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Sun 27-Nov-16 18:54:59

Eyes up DPup who is chewing up my slipper while I am MNing in the bath hmm
As she is a pup we play a lot and do a lot of simple training - sit lie roll over and recall type things that are getting more complicated every day. She is a very smart pup grin

nooka Sun 27-Nov-16 19:16:01

Sleeps. Potters a bit. Sleeps more. Chews bones/chews if we are in the room he has designated for chewing. Sleeps more. Barks at birds/ neighbours arriving home/ people passing the house with dogs. Sleeps again. Moves from one sleeping place to another. Snoozes. Sighs if we are disturbing his sleep. In the summer moves from sunbathing spot to cooling down spot.

When he was younger he asked to play in between his snoozes, but now he only plays if we instigate.

Oh and if we stay home from work or school for some reason he doesn't even sleep in the same room as us!

2cats2many Sun 27-Nov-16 19:16:56

Sleep on the bloody sofa. Grrrr!

PUGaLUGS Sun 27-Nov-16 19:20:56

Sleep!

gettingtherequickly Sun 27-Nov-16 19:22:11

Sleeps

elastamum Sun 27-Nov-16 19:23:08

I work from home. Mostly mine sleep upstairs during the day so they can woof at any passers by - we dont get many. They pop down at lunchtime to see if there is anything going, then turn up at about 3.30pm for an afternoon walk and tea then they curl up on the sofa with me to watch TV until bedtime. At night they both troupe upstairs and pretend to be invisible in the hope I wont throw them out smile

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 27-Nov-16 19:23:51

mine like to supervise....one is happy to supervise from the comfort of the sofa, with occasional bouts of spying out the garden gate or bin diving.

the other is much needier and is concerned I may be abducted at any moment so he is mostly following me everywhere, but won't come upstairs.

confusedandemployed Sun 27-Nov-16 19:26:35

Sleep and cwtch. His favourite thing is when I go to bed for a pre-work afternoon nap, he will dive under the duvet and cuddle up in the crook of my knees.

It's my favourite thing too. He'll be 15 next birthday, we lost his beautiful sister earlier this year and I treasure every single second of cwtches.

IdaDown Sun 27-Nov-16 22:31:03

Sleep, fart and mither me for food.

burdog Mon 28-Nov-16 07:22:44

Sleep, chews her toys, begs for food, moves to a different, cooler, spot on the floor to sleep, chew toys, come over for a cuddle or a bit of fuss, sleep some more.

DoubleCarrick Mon 28-Nov-16 07:31:04

Mine literally sleeps all day until dh gets home from work. Then he gets himself a ball to coax dh to play. Although now I'm more heavily pregnant, his day of sleeping is interspersed with lots of barking at the door

Eastpoint Mon 28-Nov-16 07:32:30

Sleep, bark at every noise which could possibly be interpreted as threatening (e.g. couple chatting to each other as they walk past house, van reversing on our drive), play with each other, sing for their meals, nudge me for strokes & rubs.

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Mon 28-Nov-16 07:35:07

justdontevenfuckingstart- love the pic, poor dog looks innocent, probably been framed by a gang of squirrels or something.

Mine are lazy they mostly sleep or chase the cat in between naps. If the kids are home they are generally with them stuffing their snouts into whatever they are doing till the kids get exasperated and evict them from the room.

Rudymentary Mon 28-Nov-16 07:38:10

Sleep, worries to go in the garden, barks to come in again, scan the floor for crumbs, , bark at the window, wait till I've left the room and scan the work surfaces for food, sleep, bark at the window, sleep, tells her chew off,
Sleep, worries to go in the garden, barks to come in again, scan the floor for crumbs, , bark at the window, wait till I've left the room and scan the work surfaces for food, sleep, bark at the window, sleep, tells her chew off,
Sleep, worries to go in the garden, barks to come in again, scan the floor for crumbs, , bark at the window, wait till I've left the room and scan the work surfaces for food, sleep, bark at the window, sleep, tells her chew off.

Stares at me quizzically.

Floralnomad Mon 28-Nov-16 14:33:55

he either sits on the beds upstairs cat watching or he sleeps on the settee , he follows me about a lot , he does play with his toys at regular intervals at the moment toys of choice are a Kong Wubba and a string of furry monkeys , he spends a fair bit of time chewing nylabones and antlers and moving his blankets off his dog bed , which I put back and then we do it all again on a repetitive cycle .

chickensaresafehere Mon 28-Nov-16 16:12:58

Snuggles next to me on the sofa - if I'm on it.
If the bedroom door is open,she will stand on the bed with her feet on the windowsill & bark at people,dogs,birds etc.
She gets up every so often to bark furiously at the next door neighbour(who she is well acquainted with) when he dares to walk down his own path.
If its a particularly sunny day & the sun is casting shadows through the patio doors,she will slaver profusely & attempt to bite them confused.
She will sneak upstairs to see if dd1's bedroom room door is open,if it is she will spend a good 20 minutes in there cleaning up the dirty plates & bowls.
If dd2's bedroom door is ajar she will manage to shut herself in there & then whine like mad to be let out.She can do this many times a day & not learn!!
She will attempt to chase next doors cat through the fence & shriek at it when she realises she cannot reach it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now