Why does my dog cry when hiding a bone?

(6 Posts)
mediumdeadwood Thu 24-Nov-16 17:53:54

He doesn't usually even hide his stuff, but sometimes we buy him something that he seems to think is incredibly precious, like a pig's ear, and he gets really anxious until he's found a hiding place.

Why won't he just eat and enjoy it?! He's a big chewer so gets a bone every few days so it's not like he's never going to get anything ever again confused

mediumdeadwood Thu 24-Nov-16 20:10:08

bump

Noitsnotteatimeyet Thu 24-Nov-16 20:15:16

I don't know but my dog does the same thing every now and then ... for reasons known only to him a chew or a toy will suddenly be designated as a 'Precious' which means he'll wander through the house with it in his mouth looking for somewhere to hide it. He'll bury it in his toy box or down the back of the sofa and then 5 minutes later decide it's not safe enough and dig it out and start all over again hmm. He looks so anxious during all this it's heartbreaking!

Thankfully it's only once every few weeks...

mediumdeadwood Thu 24-Nov-16 20:55:11

Glad we're not the only ones. Once he's hidden it, he seems to forget about it so at least we don't have to go through it again 5 mins later!

hairypaws Fri 25-Nov-16 09:50:38

My girl does this too and it's horrible. It's things like pig's ears or chicken feet which she only gets occasionally. It lasts all day. She likes to hide them under our pillows. The crying is so upsetting.

GinIsIn Sun 27-Nov-16 18:11:09

Mine does it ALL the time. Also, she's spectacularly bad at the hiding part in that she forgets where she's hidden it and then panics she can't find it! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now