Talk

Advanced search

Dogs reaction after death - is this normal?

(21 Posts)
Timeforabiscuit Mon 21-Nov-16 14:33:17

I've inherited a 10 year old lurcher which was my mums. My mum died suddenly, but the dog was kept locked in the house for 1-2 weeks (we cant be sure) until my brother found her.

He has been looked at by the vets and is dehydrated and underweight (should be 35kg but is currently 30) so we've been giving space, food little and often and obviously lots of fresh water.

Just in the last day he has started weeing on the kitchen floor, we've been letting him out and has been fine overnight for the past 3 nights, but hes done a puddle even though he was let out 30 mins ago.

Is this a normal stress reaction, or something to be checked out by the vets?

He's also gone off his food again after initially taking 1/3 wet meat can and the same of dry food. Apparently he should be on 4 cans a day according to the tin which seems alot given what he can stomuch.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 21-Nov-16 14:42:43

I'm so sorry about your mum. How are you?

The dog is undoubtedly grieving - was he in the house with your mum when she passed?

Are you seeing him pee when he is let out? He may not actually be going out there, just wandering about. Food wise, speak to a good independent pet shop and they'll find something healthy and appetising you can tempt him with.

Timeforabiscuit Mon 21-Nov-16 14:54:51

Thankyou, im still in shock to be honest, but the dog is getting me out of the house and walking which helps alot.

Yes he was left in the house with her for over a week, I cant imagine what he went through, but the vet didnt mention anything specific when I asked about him grieving/behaviours that I could help with apart from giving space.

He's peeing like a racehorse when hes out, which is a relief - i dont mind the weeing, its just if its a symptom of something more that im worried about.

I did buy him some jerky as a way of encouraging his rubbish recall, but his wind is eyewatering so i thought better of it, he seems happier with dental sticks - but ive bought the same food as hes used to..

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 21-Nov-16 15:00:55

It could be stress, it could be a UTI, it could be the new environment, or anything to be honest. Maybe give it a few more days and see what happens? If it's a regular problem, I'd go back to the vet.

Lots of cuddles and attention are good for both of you

Whitney168 Mon 21-Nov-16 15:04:07

A UTI caused by dehydration sounds likely in the circumstances, so a visit to the vet with a sample would be a good plan.

So sorry for your loss.

Timeforabiscuit Mon 21-Nov-16 15:04:29

Thanks Vivienne, i'll keep an eye, he may well be going through another sad phase, hes had alot of change.

Timeforabiscuit Mon 21-Nov-16 15:07:12

Hmm thats an idea, I'll see if i can catch him with a jam jar without stressing him out even more.

MOTU Mon 21-Nov-16 15:08:35

Try some real homemade food, my pup will always eat this. I cook a chicken breast in stock with 1/2 cup brown rice till it's falling apart. This will do two meals, I guarantee he'll eat that

Sweepingchange Mon 21-Nov-16 15:20:08

I'm very sorry for the loss of your mum. Condolences to your brother too.

The dog has a great owner in you.

I would say this is probably a stress reaction but if he is off his food for more than a few days then I would go back to the vet.

If the vet rules out a health related cause, and the peeing and food refusal persists, then a good behaviourist might be able to help.

In the meantime though, I would (if possible) stick to a very regular routine with him: walks at the same time, food at the same time, play at the same time, sleep at the same time. You can vary it later on when he is settled, but as he is not young and has been through trauma and lots of change, he might find a solid routine comforting atm.

We adopted a fairly traumatised dog (who is loads better but still has issues) and it took at least 3 months for him to settle in initially and 6 months to a year before he showed signs of being relaxed ( well he's the type that's always on alert but it's all relative) so I would give it some time.

Good luck op!

Sweepingchange Mon 21-Nov-16 15:23:04

Oh yes that's good advice about potential UTI and my furry loves chicken and rice when he is stressed.

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Mon 21-Nov-16 15:26:50

Might be hopeful with a jam jar - try an empty ice cream carton or similar size...... sad voice of experience

MrsJayy Mon 21-Nov-16 15:33:02

I am sorry about your mum op flowers Poor dog it could be stress pee but get him checked over you can get these crystal things from the vet that you use toget samples saves trying to catch it. My aunts dog used to pee at the same time most days for a few months after she died apparently it was on days she was out and it peed at the time she used to come home dogs are super sensitive to change i think

Timeforabiscuit Mon 21-Nov-16 15:43:06

Thanks so much everyone, right chicken and rice for dinner, crystals from the vet and a rigid routine it is.

Thinking on yesterday, we had about five people turn up unexpectedly so thats not going to have helped sad

Timeforabiscuit Mon 21-Nov-16 15:47:21

And of course a picture

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 21-Nov-16 15:49:51

Aww, bless him! You're doing lots of good things OP, I hope you're all OK.

MrsJayy Mon 21-Nov-16 15:50:12

Aww bless him

Sweepingchange Mon 21-Nov-16 15:51:06

Ooh, he's gorgeous!

AnUtterIdiot Fri 25-Nov-16 15:38:53

What a beauty! How's he doing now?

Poor boy, what a horrible experience for him. I'm sorry you lost your mum flowers

My grey farted horrendously when we first got him. We moved him off the sighthound stuff he was eating and onto Burgess Superdog Super Sensitive. He stopped farting pretty much immediately.

Madhousemummy Sun 27-Nov-16 15:23:11

So sorry about your mum. How are you and the dog getting on now?

dailymailarecunts Sun 27-Nov-16 15:43:55

I am really so sorry about your mum, your dog is a beauty and I am glad you two are looking after each other flowers

abisothergran Sun 27-Nov-16 19:36:57

Have you discussed the peeing with the vet?If the dog was dehydrated while locked in he could have suffered kidney damage -a blood test would check this and peeing all the time can be a sign of poor kidney function.
Bless him-I love lurchers -we have one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now