Talk

Advanced search

Petsafe radio invisible fence training

(10 Posts)
Flum Sat 19-Nov-16 17:50:22

Hi

Does anyone have one of these? I recently bought one as due to bad weather our hedges and fences have been very damaged and my adult dog keeps getting out and it runs up and barks at people and also stays away for a couple of hours getting up to who knows what mischief. The pup stays in the yard mainly but does sometimes follow.

They are inside dogs but they do like to spend alot of time outside too and it has been difficult trying to keep them in so much.

So I got it. I have started to do the training, it is very long and drawn out.... I wonder if it is necessary to really make it last 2 weeks... anyone got any experience.

I have tried out the dog collars and so have all the children, the shocks it gives are not very strong, more of a tickle than a jolt so not really sure they will be enough to stop my dog leaping the boundary to chase another dog or passerby.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 19-Nov-16 17:52:33

So you think giving your dogs electric shocks when they go over a line they cannot see us a human and effective form of training?

Fix your boundaries FFS.

Flum Sat 19-Nov-16 18:09:26

Yeah seems ok, we all tried it, it feels weird but doesn't really hurt, for that reason not sure it will even work. It is that or keep the dog in except for walks either end of the day. I can't have her escaping she will get in fights or someone will shoot her! I think she is safer in. Lots of our neighbours dogs are out now since the hurricane so there are lots getting into fights they are so territorial. Boundary is marked. House is rented though so no idea when they will fix the fence they are in no hurry. I need a solution now.

tabulahrasa Sat 19-Nov-16 18:09:37

You want to rush training your dog not to get an electric shock? Yeah can't see that ending badly at all...

TrionicLettuce Sat 19-Nov-16 18:13:07

Either secure your garden or only take the dogs out there on lead. If they're not coping well with less access to the garden then increase their exercise and mental stimulation to compensate until they can go out safely again.

These "invisible fence" systems are not only cruel but also completely unreliable. They only work until there's something your dog wants to get to enough that they'll ignore the shock and once they've gone through it once it's more likely they'll do it again. You're also running the risk of your dog becoming fearful of being in the garden or becoming increasingly frustrated and redirecting onto your puppy.

Even if your dogs respect it (which they only will through fear because that's the basis of how it works) there's nothing to stop other dogs getting into your garden. You may well find that fights just relocate into your garden if there are lots of other dogs roaming around.

Flum Sat 19-Nov-16 18:13:54

Ok, I guess I have asked on the wrong forum. Sorry to have offended. I do want to rush it as want my dogs to have some of their freedom back they seem miserable stuck in most of the time and get all tangled when I put them out on a long line.

TrionicLettuce Sat 19-Nov-16 19:10:30

Why I Really Hate Electric Shock (Invisible) Fences by Pamela Dennison

The Visible Dangers of Invisible Fencing

Dog Walker's Hair goes Gray Overnight: Says Invisible Fences Are to Balme

Scuttlebutter Sat 19-Nov-16 19:58:15

Thankfully they are now illegal here in Wales and banning them elsewhere can't come soon enough.

Take your dogs for walks, FFS or do training with them in the garden while they are on a long lead.

averylongtimeago Sat 19-Nov-16 22:13:48

If you can afford an invisible fence system, you can afford a roll of sheep netting to temporarily fence in part / all of your garden. The electric collars are horrible, and as pp have said don't always work and can cause other problems.
If your dogs are bored, take them for a walk and do some training - it's not rocket science.

averylongtimeago Sat 19-Nov-16 22:21:06

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/131846877379
This is what you need, under £40, should be easy enough to put up.
Much cheaper than the pets safe fence, which my quick Google suggests costs any thing from £200 -£800.
And the sheep netting isn't cruel either. Win win

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now