Talk

Advanced search

Fostering a puppy- hit me with your best tips

(6 Posts)
NoFucksImAQueen Sat 19-Nov-16 06:35:07

Yorkie cross shitzu
He's 15 weeks and tiny.
Our own ddog is 10 and a husky cross lab. we've only ever had big dogs but also the puppy stage feels like a distant memory.
The main things I need to work on with him is
Barking
Housetraining
Mouthing
Jumping up

I'm trying the umbilical cord method this morning as despite letting him out hourly, standing with him repeating wee wee and him actually half going outside once (came in and finished on the rug hmm)
He's still Managed to pee in the house twice without me noticing. He's so small he barley has to squat down!
I have 3 young kids so the jumping and mouthing are equally important

NoFucksImAQueen Sat 19-Nov-16 06:37:17

Photo of said dog.

Ylvamoon Sat 19-Nov-16 11:54:22

A few things that work for me:

Barking- I'd teach him the command "speak" & let him have a few barks, praise "good boy speak" & treat. Till he understands what you want. Next stage is to introduce "speak" (a few barks) & "quiet" & treat when he's stopping. Obviously you can build on it by reducing the speak command to only more bark. Ideally, you can use "quiet" whenever he is barking and you want him to stop. (Try to use hand and voice signals)

Housetraining - you are doing well, to make the garden more fun, go out with him, when he is doing his business, praise with command & give a treat. It's a good thing to get a dog to go toilet on comand, and ma's life a lot easier in the future. (Make sure you use a specific dog mess cleaner to avoid 're- soiling. )

Mouthing- a firm NO. and give him his toy. Puppies need to chew and use their mouth for exploring. Giving him his toy will teach him what he is allowed to have and what not.

Jumping up- turn roun, walk away, ignore. If he jumps at feeding time, hold his bowl and tell him to sit/ wait. Don't give till he has calmed down (does the behaviour you aim for)- he will learn that one very quickly!

Good luck, always remember, any "naughty" behaviour is a training opportunity - no need to get cross or shout at the little puppy.

Whitney168 Sat 19-Nov-16 13:06:09

Expect housetraining to be challenging - toy dogs are notorious for it. Associate a command with it and grit your teeth ...

NoFucksImAQueen Sat 19-Nov-16 15:12:51

Ha thank Whitney, I'm learning this already. I take him in the back garden and say wee wee's repeatedly till he goes and then act like he just achieved world peace or something haha. So far we've managed 2 poos and a pee outside so he's doing well.
He's a bit snappy at points when I tell him no.
I strongly dislike yappy dogs so am keen to nip this in the bud. Any tips?

NoFucksImAQueen Sat 19-Nov-16 18:28:24

Bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now