Talk

Advanced search

Do we need to go to vet today? Dog's eye is sore suddenly

(14 Posts)
DawheadAwgusEeentock Fri 18-Nov-16 15:48:42

Hi everyone,

Cheekily looking for some urgent advice please.

Our little girl (terrier) has developed a sore eye throughout the day today. She chased after a cat this morning (though a hedge) but we didn't notice anything until lunchtime as she'd been sleeping.

She's keeping the eye closed mostly - there's no discharge - and she's in good spirits. But it's obviously irritating her as she keeps scratching it with her paw/leg. I've tried looking into it and can't see anything obvious, but she's getting distressed when I try to keep it open/touch it.

We've never had an emergency with her before so not sure what to do for best. Does anyone know if this this could be serious/urgent - and if so should we try to see a vet this evening?

Our normal vet doesn't open on Friday's but they have a clinic in the next town that opens soon for evening appointments.

IEatCannibals Fri 18-Nov-16 15:50:20

I would go tonight rather than risk it getting worse over the weekend and needing an e,regency appt.

She may have scratched her eye and need ointment.

thesandwich Fri 18-Nov-16 15:53:25

Could you get a cone of shame from pets at home etc to stop her scratching?

mypropertea Fri 18-Nov-16 15:54:46

Go today as an emergency appointment will be way more money.

Budgiebonbon Fri 18-Nov-16 15:57:01

I would make an appointment as soon as you can, they will be able have a good look.

Our girl scratched the surface of her eyeball a few weeks back and the vet was able to prescribe antibiotic drops and a pain killer. She was exactly the same as you describe, we couldn't see anything obvious, but they put a dye in her eye and you could see the scratch. The risk is infection & the worry of sight loss.

TrionicLettuce Fri 18-Nov-16 15:58:03

I'd definitely get it looked at as soon as possible, it's not worth taking the risk with eyes.

GardenDreamer Fri 18-Nov-16 16:02:33

Yes go! Scratches on eyes can get infected. I don't have a dog but this has happened to my cat. Was a cheap thing to fix, just some drops and a consultation. At the vets, they out a weird dye drop into the eye and shone a light into the eye and it showed up the damage - fascinating!!! The eye also had some weird small veins that appeared over the eye surface as part of the healing - very glad I went to the vet.

DawheadAwgusEeentock Fri 18-Nov-16 16:29:57

Thank you all SO much for coming back so quickly flowers.

Just rang vets and they told us to come in as soon as we can, so on our way. Will update later with news.

TheHobbitMum Fri 18-Nov-16 16:39:14

Hope it's nothing too serious op x

DawheadAwgusEeentock Fri 18-Nov-16 18:15:54

Home from vets! You are all star's!

Lovely vet did the dye thing and poor girl has a huge scratch on her eye - its about 2mm thick x 4mm long! Got such a fright when I saw it.

Could have been hedge, or cat giving her a well-deserved box in the face!

They're making a serum from her blood (took 10ml from her leg sad) but she was good as gold. It's something to do with creating antibodies from her plasma. We've to go back soon to collect it as it takes an hour to make.

She'll need painkillers and antibiotics too and they want to see her again next week. Fingers crossed the meds work but there's a small risk of surgery if they don't.

Can't thank you all enough - especially as I've never posted in the Doghouse before flowers.

It might out me but I'll post a photo of the little scruff monster when I'm home grin

IEatCannibals Fri 18-Nov-16 19:04:33

Oh bless her. Sounds like she will be glad of the painkillers.

DawheadAwgusEeentock Fri 18-Nov-16 19:43:19

All done - tablets and 2 sets of drops for a week.

Here she is pre-injury, looking like butter wouldn't melt grin. She's the love and scourge of our lives in equal measure wink.

Hope she has a good sleep tonight poor thing.

mypropertea Sat 19-Nov-16 05:48:30

She is cutest! Hope she makes a fast recovery.

GardenDreamer Sat 19-Nov-16 07:10:45

Oh I'm so pleased!!! Vets are ace...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now