Talk

Advanced search

Best bed for greyhounds

(11 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Tue 15-Nov-16 20:56:56

Any recommendations? Looking for something reasonably attractive (not covered in bones or paw prints!) that can go in our sitting room, but which is also nice and soft for his pointy bits.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 15-Nov-16 20:58:04

I realise that my post sounded snotty re patterned beds and apologise profusely...

CMOTDibbler Tue 15-Nov-16 21:14:13

We have this one for our lurchers. They have a memory foam chip one from the same company in their crate but seem to prefer the flat pad elsewhere as they can stretch out fully.

Scuttlebutter Tue 15-Nov-16 23:21:17

Erm, most pointies actually prefer to recline on the sofa!

Several options - ours have a mix of the Senior Vet Bed - this is lovely, as it is a wool mix, so very soft, but also washable. We have wooden floors and opted for the Wheat colour and it's very unobtrusive. We get that from Bronte Glen's website. I can chuck it in the washing machine and it's dry in no time.

Milgi do a range of beds.

The cheap and cheerful option is a single duvet in a cover simply folded up - very popular if yours is a nester.

If you want to really invest in top of the range, Orvis do some great beds in large sizes but they are not cheap.

MiaowTheCat Thu 17-Nov-16 14:53:40

If you can get one - my hound used an old cot mattress (not a cot-bed one - that would have been too huge - despite her pointy-nosed ideas) just wrapped in a duvet cover.

Or in reality - she had the sofa while we sat on the bloody office and dining chairs and wondered what the fuck was going on.

mollie123 Thu 17-Nov-16 16:12:35

I found my lurcher did not like the flat beds as her like a raised edge to rest his head on and keep watch smile
he also likes to nest when it is cold and tries to burrow beneath the padding
his favourite is by wolfiebeds
like this one

shockingsocks Fri 18-Nov-16 19:19:03

I thought greyhounds only slept on sofas?! grin

PaulDacresConscience Sat 19-Nov-16 20:29:32

Yours!

There is a pecking order in this house in terms of what they prefer to lay on;

Top choice - our bed and preferrably under the duvet
2nd choice - the sofas having made a nest with blankets and cusions
Last choice - their bed

For this reason we didn't spend a lot on a bed for them as it seemed pointless; they spend so little time on it! I bought a large soft microfleece blanket, folded it in half and stitched the sides up leaving the top open. Sewed velcro strips into the top so that it can be fastened shut. Then bought two cheap double duvets from Asda and folded them so that they would go into the blanket covering. It's lovely and soft and cushiony, but also easy to keep clean.

AnUtterIdiot Sun 20-Nov-16 18:51:37

Sorry, I didn't see the additional comments!

The dog is not interested in sofas. I love sprawling on a sofa with a dog but if you try to get him onto the sofa or onto a bed he just stands there, looking politely bewildered.

He has lovely big squashy beds in every downstairs room, but he particularly loves his beanbag which is starting to disintegrate so I thought I'd see what other people's dogs liked.

PaulDacresConscience Sun 20-Nov-16 18:54:02

My big girl was terrified of our bed when we first got her. She wouldn't even come into the room - she didn't know what it was and didn't like it.

Now that she's got used to it and practised jumping up and down on it, you can't get her out of the bloody thing! As far as she is concerned she is a Queen and our bed is her domain. As her humble human servant, who am I to argue? grin

PetraStrorm Mon 21-Nov-16 13:11:53

Utter, your dog sounds just like mine. She's never been allowed on the sofas and has never tried to get on them, and she's never seen a bed for humans either.

She has a huge brown furry beanbag (I sewed 2 big beanbags together) which she absolutely adores as she's a bit of a nester. I lust after the Orvis beds, but actually I think she'd rather have the beanbag. Could you replace the beanbag with another one - with a removable, washable cover in some nice fabric? I bet you could find and sew a big bag shape out of a curtain/small pair of curtains which would be good sturdy fabric too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now