Talk

Advanced search

mini schnauzer breeders

(15 Posts)
TheAntiBoop Wed 09-Nov-16 23:00:04

Can anyone recommend a reputable breeder in the South - by PM if preferred!

Or just advice on making sure I don't inadvertently use a puppy farm? I have heard they are quite crafty using fronts etc and I don't want to contribute to that.

TrionicLettuce Wed 09-Nov-16 23:13:26

Your best bet is to get in touch with the breed club (either the Miniature Schnauzer Club or the Schnauzer Club of Great Britain), they should be able to help put you in touch with decent breeders who have litters planned.

There's a good article here on the Champdogs site about finding a breeder and buying a puppy. Their list of questions to ask a breeder is well worth a look as well.

This list of responsible breeding steps gives you a good idea of the lengths a breeder should be going to in order to maximise their chances of producing healthy, happy, sound and well-rounded puppies.

Any decent breeder should be perfectly happy to talk you through the whole breeding process, answer any questions you have, show you all the relevant paperwork (registration papers and health testing paperwork) and put you in touch with the stud dogs owner.

Wolfiefan Wed 09-Nov-16 23:20:04

Be aware you may have a long wait. I'm hoping we have finally found our pup after nearly two years waiting.

TheAntiBoop Wed 09-Nov-16 23:38:19

Thanks for advice!

I know it will be a wait if we go down the 'official' route but we are in no rush! Good luck with your new puppy - I hope you post photos!!!

Wolfiefan Wed 09-Nov-16 23:40:35

I will soooo post photos. I'm beyond nervous and excited and worse than an expectant mum. This pup is so wanted.
And OP it's lovely to see someone so determined to avoid puppy farmers. A little hint. Find breed specific shows. Make friends and get a fix! It's worked for me. Pics soon. I hope. X

TheAntiBoop Wed 09-Nov-16 23:43:13

I will keep an eye out for shows - we want to take the kids along to a couple anyway to see the dogs 'in action' so to speak!

They're such cute puppies - don't think you can beat a dog with a beard!!

TheAntiBoop Thu 10-Nov-16 19:51:39

Is it a bad sign of a breeder doesn't have a waiting list?

TrionicLettuce Thu 10-Nov-16 20:16:31

Is it a bad sign of a breeder doesn't have a waiting list?

How old are the pups? If they're imminently ready to go and the breeder is still trying to sell them I'd be much more suspicious than if they're much younger and the litter is larger than they were expecting.

Either way, it's not unreasonable to ask the breeder why they still have puppies unspoken for and I would do so.

TheAntiBoop Thu 10-Nov-16 20:57:06

I meant generally really - so those with pups that are still tiny to those who haven't even got pups on the way!

Setterlover Thu 10-Nov-16 21:06:37

Different breed but I went on the kennel club assured breeder list, then to dog shows to see a few breeders there and to chat to other people there... you will be amazed how loose peoples tongues are!

Found breeder in April after a 6 month look and research. She had no puppies and none due. Had to wait for her bitch to come into season and then be born and they are now 4 weeks old. All 11 puppies have all be sold to people who have seen breeder ( and been interrogated by the breeder). Never been advertised.

One of the big things for me was how the breeder wanted to see me, my family, and ask lots of questions about our lifestyle, our position on neutering, breeding, what other pets we had. We met her a few times while we were waiting for the pups to be born

Just have your common sense head on and preferably go and choose your breeder and build a relationship with them rather than choose a pup because all puppies look cute
Check the KC or breed clubs for any genetic testing and or hip scores and ask the dam and sites name as you can enter that in the KC website and get a whole load of information that's fascinating!

Setterlover Thu 10-Nov-16 21:09:44

If you like I can ask my breeder if she knows someone. I am sure she will

Setterlover Thu 10-Nov-16 21:17:57

wolfie
We did all the shows too. It's a great fix and the children loved them. I learnt so much there too.
Has your puppy been born yet? I am going to see mine again to Tomorrow. And she is sooooo cute

TheAntiBoop Fri 11-Nov-16 10:06:00

If she knows anyone in the southeast please PM me!!

everyone we know is being extremely negative about it so starting to feel a bit down about the whole thing!! Need to spend some time researching good vets near us and dog sitters and puppy classes etc so feel totally supported!!

LtEsmeHansard Fri 11-Nov-16 14:56:24

If you sign up on Champdogs they'll send you an email every time a litter of the breed of your choice becomes available. I've been getting loads of miniature schnauzer litters at least one a week.

I had one who lived for 15 years, he was the best dog ever. Gentle, amazing with kids, just perfect. I really miss him sad

Girolle Fri 11-Nov-16 15:53:36

Have sent you a PM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now