Talk

Advanced search

Best way to go about rehoming

(7 Posts)
JenBehavingBadly Wed 09-Nov-16 22:16:01

I sadly need to rehome my dog. I've been ill for 9 out of the last 12 months and its meant that I can't give her the care and attention that she needs. I've been working around this by sending her to doggy daycare a couple of days a week, but sometimes it has to be more than a couple of days and when I'm really unwell, all week.

I think its time to admit that the best place for her isn't with me any more, even though it breaks my heart. She needs to be somewhere that she can get lots of attention and exercise, rather than being sent to kennels during the day.

There is no way I am letting her go anywhere unless I am 100% sure it's the right place and that the people would look after her and I know that rescues vet prospective owners carefully, but I don't want to send her to a rescue in case she's there alone for a long time. I don't know what to do for the best. Does anyone have any experience they could share?

taptonaria27 Wed 09-Nov-16 22:38:40

My dog sitter took mine, have you asked if anyone at the doggy daycare knows of anyone? If he is a particular breed there are breed specific rescues, there are also many rescues who use foster horns rather than kernels.
Someone I know simply emailed everyone on her contact list when she'd mother went into care and dog had to be rehomed. - it worked for her

TrionicLettuce Wed 09-Nov-16 22:40:07

Ideally either her breeder or the rescue she originally came from should be able to help, are either of those an option?

Going through a rescue doesn't necessarily mean she'd have to go into kennels. Many, particularly the smaller independent ones, either use fosters rather than kennels or will be happy for her to remain with you whilst a new home is found. Breed/type specific rescues are well worth looking into, as are the rescues run by breed club members if she's a specific breed.

Wolfiefan Wed 09-Nov-16 22:41:39

If you're unwell how about contacting the cinnamon trust. They can provide dog walkers, fostering or more permanent care.
I'm sorry you're unwell. flowers

tabulahrasa Wed 09-Nov-16 22:54:26

Where you got her from if that's a viable option...or there are rescues that will rehome her straight from your home, so she's not in a rescue centre.

TattyCat Wed 09-Nov-16 23:08:51

Op, we've just rehomed the most gorgeous dog in the world. We're almost 6 weeks in and one of the most important things I've needed so far is a crib sheet of what she likes/doesn't like: knows, routine, food, words, habits etc etc.

She's clearly been loved and was handed over directly to a rescue, but with no information. That's hard, because she reacts to certain words but I'm not sure why sometimes! Example: steady - she gets really excited by that, but it also sounds like 'teddy', so what if anything, did her previous owners teach her? Also, food - I've had a hard time trying to find the right combination without her refusing to eat. I'm there now, but the transition would have been much simpler if the information had been passed to the rescue centre.

Most of all though - tough decision and I don't envy you that. I'm glad that mine made the decision because I know she'll have a happy life and won't spend much time alone) currently less than 3 hours over nearly 6 weeks - making a rod for my own back here!

TheoriginalLEM Wed 09-Nov-16 23:14:14

Contact the Cinnamon Trust. They help people when they are hospitalised, long term sickness who need help with their pets. They can also rehome.

flowers must be hard for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now