Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Greyhound collars

(20 Posts)
luckylambchop Wed 09-Nov-16 14:06:41

Hi, can I ask hound owners what type of collar they use please? We've had our boy for 2 days now, he came with a wide leather buckle collar and we bought him a bog standard dog collar from Pets at Home for in the house, to put his ID tag on.

The buckle collar has been OK but as it's softening I've noticed that, even on its tightest setting, it would easily slip over his head, in fact it very nearly did this morning - he was making his feelings known about going for a walk in the rain by firmly refusing to go any further than the end of the driveway.

I know a few of you use martingale collars, would these be better? Also they seem to be softer, are they used as house collars too, so a lead is just attached when needed? Or, would I be better off sticking with the leather collar but getting him a harness for added security? Or a harness instead?? So many options!

Thanks in advance smile

CMOTDibbler Wed 09-Nov-16 14:23:47

I use martingale collars - they can't slip over the dogs head, and are softer on their neck than leather (and prettier!). Mine usually wear theirs round the house.

We only use harnesses for running with the dogs. DDog1 in particular is very bony and I worry about it rubbing on him, plus both dogs walk nicely on the lead.

My fave collars are Meggie Moo and we have a couple of Kitsch collars

PetraStrorm Wed 09-Nov-16 16:46:51

My greyhound has a 'normal' narrow velvet collar with her tag on that she wears all the time, and a fabric martingale with clip-on (velvet) lead for walks. Martingale is very secure and I'm sure it's more comfy for her too.
I got both collars and the lead from Meggie Moo and they're fab - lovely-looking, comfortable and really well made.

taptonaria27 Wed 09-Nov-16 22:41:27

I have a house collar and matching martingale from Dogs on Bikes - they are very fetching and I've just asked if she makes a Christmas design!
They are also looser and more comfortable than the leather one which had to be tight not to slip over his head

Statelychangers Mon 14-Nov-16 08:33:29

We use a very soft leather collar but we only put it on when we're going out as it rubs away his fur - as does the harness, delicate flower that he is.

Scuttlebutter Mon 14-Nov-16 23:15:07

All our greyhounds wear martingales from Meggie Moo. The collars are beautiful quality and as far as I know, she is the only mfr who regularly tests her hardware in an engineering safety lab. For me this is a very important point - a martingale that is poorly made could cost a dog its life. Over the years, I've bought a few pretty ones at shows etc and have been horrified when stitching comes undone, poor quality D rings etc. For peace of mind, I now stick to Meggie Moo and wouldn't have anything else for our greys. Which reminds me, it's not long till their Christmas collars are due to be dug out!

Little lurcher is a water lover so she now wears a flat collar from Lupine, which is tough, hard wearing and dries very easily after one of her (frequent) swamp/lake/ditch adventures.

GreenieGables Tue 15-Nov-16 18:46:28

Thanks to this thread my bank account is £55 lighter grin. Some gorgeous collars and a lead on its way from Meggie Moo. The lady is lovely as well. Looking forward to receiving them. That's good to know though Scuttle, if I'm honest I didn't even think of implications like that. You can tell I'm a beginner!

CMOTDibbler Tue 15-Nov-16 19:13:18

Which collars did you choose Greenie? Of our <ahem> extensive collection we have Ziggy and Jewel that I can see quickly.

I might put the dogs christmas bandanas on for the EGLR christmas coffee morning grin

luckylambchop Tue 15-Nov-16 19:25:29

Me too, Greenie! I just ordered a comic book one and matching lead. Really wanted a Christmas one but was trying to be restrained. Hmm....bandanas! Now I want to get him a bandana!

CMOTDibbler Tue 15-Nov-16 19:34:18

Bandanas we have red stars, flames, skulls, pow, and a christmas elves one smile

luckylambchop Tue 15-Nov-16 20:01:02

Where do you buy your bandanas, CMOT?

CMOTDibbler Tue 15-Nov-16 20:05:26

Mine are all from Milgi

GreenieGables Tue 15-Nov-16 21:25:38

We got the Westray one. The kids (and DH) chose it which I was surprised about. I wanted a funky one but they went for this! I do like the colours though. We got a matching velvet flat collar and lead too. Maybe in a few weeks I'll sneak in a funky bright one, I really like all the stripey ones.

GreenieGables Tue 15-Nov-16 21:30:12

I love the Christmas and Halloween ones, they're amazing grin A bit pointless though considering we don't properly celebrate either in this house!

These are by far my favourite. Love them.

CMOTDibbler Tue 15-Nov-16 21:42:24

I love that collar Greenie. Somehow the tweed doesn't look right on my dogs.

On your next order, I'd really recommend a fleece lead. I just ask her to choose the colours to best go with my collars and they look lovely

Gratuitous dog pic grin

luckylambchop Tue 15-Nov-16 22:45:51

Now see I wanted tweed but my daughter chose pow! We should swap children.

Scuttlebutter Tue 15-Nov-16 23:13:10

Here's another gratuitous dog pic. Our stripey tiger in one of her collection - she'll be moving into her Christmas collar in time for the EGLR party on Sunday. grin

GoofyIsACow Tue 15-Nov-16 23:25:28

I like Silver Peacock collars, I have also used Meggie Moo.
I made my smaller one a coat today as I unearthed my sewing machine out of storage. It's so snuggley!
We love a bandana here too!

GreenieGables Wed 16-Nov-16 14:27:31

I'm deffo up for swapping children wink.

I do like the tweed one, I just wasn't drawn to it to start with. I can't wait to get it!

Dibbler I kept putting the fleece handle on and off as I couldn't decide, I went without in the end. I'll know for next time grin.

MiaowTheCat Thu 17-Nov-16 14:56:24

Lost our hound to cancer a year ago (I'm working on DH to find another houndy shaped space in our lives - he's conceded in the new year) but I had quite a bad AK Creations habit in the past where collars were concerned.

OK I had a very bad collar habit - I think I spent like £100 on collars at the great greyhound gathering one year.

There's a dog I see doing the school runs that has a proper fleece coat - made to look like Pikachu - it's bloody awesome but DDog1 (not a hound) hasn't quite forgiven me for the reindeer antlers photo that was our Christmas card about five years ago now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now