Shar peis

(15 Posts)
dinorawr Wed 09-Nov-16 11:08:21

Me and oh would like a dog and was thinking of getting a Shar pei.

Has anyone had or got one?

I've read about them online but thought I'd ask on here too.

Wolfiefan Wed 09-Nov-16 11:09:25

Shar pei sickness? I think they also have skin issues maybe.
Huge and very strong dog.
What attracts you to the breed?

Costacoffeeplease Wed 09-Nov-16 11:26:48

Why do you want one?

Are you an experienced dog owner, they're not for a first time dog owner

PilkoPumpPants Wed 09-Nov-16 11:29:39

I've heard they aren't as tolerant with young children as other breeds are, of course it comes down to how you train them as well. They are very strong dogs.

dinorawr Wed 09-Nov-16 11:35:26

I have never owned a dog before no, but partner has. We have a 2 year old which was my main concern, I've read mixed reviews on them really some say they can be aggressive others say they aren't. I like the look of them, but of course I'm not just going to buy a dog based on that.

Garthmarenghi Wed 09-Nov-16 11:42:32

I've known two. Both had terrible skin problems. Poor buggers

Floralnomad Wed 09-Nov-16 12:34:31

If you do decide to go this route , I wouldn't because of the possibility of skin issues / smell , look at rescues as they are a dog that comes up very regularly - mainly because of the issues already mentioned.

PilkoPumpPants Wed 09-Nov-16 12:40:50

I really wouldn't get a shar pei with a 2 year old and no experience with owning a dog. Bad idea.

Do a year of researching a breed that would suit your family, a 3yr old usually understands how to be around animals whereas a 2yr old can be very rough still.

Loadingpleasewait Wed 09-Nov-16 14:26:48

My least favourite breed.
Bred to be fighting dogs and they are riddled with painful health problems which make them even more irritable.
They have to have their eyelids tacked open so they can see, horrible skin problems, ear disease and shar pei fever.
People buy them because they think ooo cute wrinkly dogs. Definitely not a breed for a first time dog owner.

TrionicLettuce Wed 09-Nov-16 16:09:41

It's very difficult to find decent breeders of Shar Peis (i.e. ones who are doing all they can to improve the health of the breed, including breeding away from the really exaggerated wrinkling) plus, as previous posters have said, they're not the easiest of dogs to own.

If you're interested in the breed I'd recommend going to some shows, chatting to breeders and meeting as many dogs as possible. It'll give you a much better idea if the breed is really for you than just reading about them online.

With a breed such as Shar Peis where you really don't want to take a gamble on either health or temperament it does pay to put in the leg work and get to know others involved in the breed before going ahead and getting a puppy.

I'd consider other breeds as well, starting with ones that will fit your lifestyle rather than which ones you like the look of. How much exercise and mental stimulation would be able to (and want to) provide? How much grooming are you happy doing? Do you want to do any particular activities or sports? What sort of size dog would you be happy with/able to accommodate?

There are loads of breed finder quizzes online. They're not always brilliant but they're a reasonable starting point for at least working out a shortlist of breeds to research further.

Blackbird82 Wed 09-Nov-16 16:30:38

I would not recommend as a first dog. They can be unreliable around dogs and children. I have Labradors but I've owned dogs for years so for a first timer with a young child, how about a King Charles Spaniel? They are pretty low maintenance compared with many other breeds!

hm1610 Wed 09-Nov-16 16:58:36

I have 2, they have just turned 1 last month. Both from the same litter 1 male 1 female (female was spayed at 6 months on vet recommendation). They aren't full pedigree, they are a mix between a shar-pei and golden pei (golden retriever x shar-pei). I don't have kids (yet!) however they are brilliant with other young kids we have in the family as they were introduced to children when they were young pups. They are hard work however I imagine any breed is at the puppy stage although gets easier everyday as they get older. We've never had any issues with their eyes or skin but I think that's mainly due to them not being pedigree. They are the most loving dogs I've ever met, they absolutely adore people and attention from anyone who will give it! As for behavioural issues I believe that's completely down to the owner and how well they are brought up and trained, they are quite strong willed and can sometimes be stubborn so perseverance is key when teaching!

Blackbird82 Wed 09-Nov-16 17:35:44

I'm surprised the breeder sold you two from the same litter. How have you found it?

hm1610 Wed 09-Nov-16 18:09:18

Blackbird - it wasn't a professional breeder, it wasn't a planned litter and we were always taking one of the pups but there was one left they couldn't find a home for so we took him. They absolutely adore each other and have great fun! I find that it's good company for each other. They are occasionally too engrossed in each other to listen to me but that's the only downside I would say. I'm fully aware of littermate syndrome but we seem to have been very lucky! smile

Ylvamoon Wed 09-Nov-16 19:02:08

I agree, a Shar Pei is a large, intelligent dog that has been used as an utility dog: from hunting over herding to fighting. This mix up of DNA is best placed with experienced dog owners, especially with a young child around.
I would never discourage anyone from buying the dog of their dreams, as fully committed people who are willing to put in the time for training can make wonderful dog owners.
With a powerful breed, like an Shar Pei I would strongly recommend, going to puppy/ dog training classes - your local dog training club should run them for a reasonable price (far less than any dog trainer and more than one experienced dog owner at hand for trouble shooting!). Even better, they run an program called "Good Citizen Dog" from the KC (available to all dogs, not just pedigree!). This will teach you and your dog all the necessary things for a happy life at home and when out and about. The whole program (bronze to gold) takes about 12-18 months to complete... but is well worth it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now