Talk

Advanced search

Coat for Doberman?

(15 Posts)
thesandwich Sun 06-Nov-16 17:12:08

Hello- any suggestions of where to get a coat for our smallish female Doberman? Many thanks

TrionicLettuce Sun 06-Nov-16 17:30:44

I use Equafleece jumpers and coats for my whippets.

Saucery Sun 06-Nov-16 17:33:14

Milgi coats ?

thesandwich Sun 06-Nov-16 19:24:01

Thank you both!!flowers

Floralnomad Sun 06-Nov-16 23:01:39

I second the recommendation for Equafleece , our terrier has them and they wash really well and dry quickly . We mainly use the jumpers and they don't restrict movement at all so are great for running about .

GladysKravitz Sun 06-Nov-16 23:31:55

This might seem a silly question, but do all dogs need coats? I have a 5 month old presa canario (short haired mastiff), will he need one for walks in the winter?

Floralnomad Sun 06-Nov-16 23:47:00

In the UK I would say no they don't . I put a jumper / coat on mine for a couple of reasons firstly I have his hair clipped really short and secondly it's easier to keep him clean and get him dry in the rain/ mud .

MrsderPunkt Sun 06-Nov-16 23:53:17

Dogs don't need coats, it's a fashion thing. A very old / ill dog might need extra warmth if out for a long time, but most are for fun or keeping it clean /dry for the owners benefit.

TrionicLettuce Mon 07-Nov-16 00:42:36

I've got whippets and they definitely do need something on in the winter. They've got incredibly fine single coats and have very little hair on their undercarriages/inside their back legs. They definitely feel the cold and without something on will get shivery and unhappy very quickly. By the depths of winter they're usually wearing a jumper with a coat on top and both stay on for the duration of the walk.

DDog2, on the other hand, has a double coat even though she's short haired so she pretty much doesn't feel the cold at all.

CMOTDibbler Mon 07-Nov-16 09:43:56

Greyhounds, whippets, italian greyhounds and many lurchers do need coats. Ddog1 is probably greyhound x saluki and as such has a very fine coat and naturally little body fat. Through the winter he needs a fleece inside and a coat outside if on the lead.

OP, if your dog will fit a Milgi coat, then I really recommend them - excellent quality, and made in Wales

thesandwich Mon 07-Nov-16 14:21:04

Thanks! She is getting on a bit with short fur and detests rain so a coat will help! Normal coats don't fit as she is 34" chest and 24" waist!

CMOTDibbler Mon 07-Nov-16 15:06:03

Sounds like a sighthound coat would be perfect then. If you phone/email Milgi the owner is super helpful, and could check the sizing. Ddog1 is rocking a teal and grey fleece right now (he has a few house coats as he's such a cold object), and has a red quilted outdoor coat and a starry raincoat

TrionicLettuce Mon 07-Nov-16 15:49:21

Normal coats don't fit as she is 34" chest and 24" waist!

The Equafleece jumpers/coats/etc. also come in slim versions of the normal sizes for sighthounds and similarly shaped dogs.

thesandwich Mon 07-Nov-16 21:14:38

thank you!

VladimirsPooTin Mon 07-Nov-16 21:24:52

My dog is prone to bouts of (agonising) limber tail and will need a coat that covers the top of his tail if possible. Watching this thread with interest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now