We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is your dog vaccinated against kennel cough?

(17 Posts)
Noofly Wed 02-Nov-16 12:34:43

It's spreading like wildfire around here. We're in a dog walking group and 6 of the dogs have come down with it! One started showing symptoms a week past Sunday and the other 5 have had symptoms for the past 2-5 days so I suspect they caught it from the first dog (we're out with it the day before), but it obviously could just be a coincidence.

The 4 dogs that have been vaccinated, including mine, haven't shown any symptoms yet, but I know it's not the most effective vaccine. I'm slightly worried because our dog is on Apoquel which can suppress the immune system.

I'm just wondering how many people have vaccinated their dogs against it and whether they have or have not come down with kennel cough?

randomsabreuse Wed 02-Nov-16 12:36:57

We've vaccinated and he's never had it but we've only ever done it when kennels might be needed rather than in the belief it will work - our preferred kennels require it.

CaptainBraandPants Wed 02-Nov-16 12:37:24

Our dog has been vaccinated, as has our dog walkers. She told me a couple of weeks ago that another dog she walks had come down with it and to keep a look out for signs and symptoms, but luckily the vaccine seems to have been effective.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 02-Nov-16 12:38:11

Mine is, hope it's effective.

leaveittothediva Wed 02-Nov-16 12:43:30

Yes, just because to put her in Kennels you have to have it done. I wasn't really aware it was this bad though.

Kidnapped Wed 02-Nov-16 12:57:08

Ours is vaccinated now but only in the last year.

She never used to have the KC vaccine for staying in kennels where we used to live (neither kennels nor vet mentioned it so we didn't know anything about it) but where we live now the kennels insist on it. And the new vet said it was a good idea in any event.

Monkeybunkey Wed 02-Nov-16 13:00:47

Ours has it (the spray up the nose) when he has his yearly boosters. He's never been in kennels, but we meet a lot of other dogs when out on walks and a lot of our friends also have dogs so I thought it was worth him having it.

missyB1 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:04:23

Our puppy is booked in to have it tomorrow, she's spending the day at a kennels on Friday, they don't insist on it but do advise it.

Noofly Wed 02-Nov-16 13:04:27

I think I'm going to avoid the area where we do the group walk for a couple of weeks. We meet a lot of other dogs when out and lots of them like to have a good play. I'm a bit worried that either/both our group has spread it to other dogs around there or that some of those dogs might have it/be spreading it. It tends to be the same dogs we run into every week.

Am probably being paranoid. blush

Kidnapped Wed 02-Nov-16 15:35:11

I don't think you are paranoid, Noofly.

I'd avoid as well for a bit. 6 dogs in your dog walking group with kennel cough? You wouldn't get me and my dog anywhere near them for now, vaccination or no vaccination.

ItsJustPaint Wed 02-Nov-16 15:41:26

No my dog isn't vaccinated as she doesn't go into kennels.

Of course when she has been in kennels ( 4 years ago ) she had it then.

Never thought it was applicable to me but maybe I should think again...

Hope you are not near me OP

Floralnomad Wed 02-Nov-16 16:01:06

My dog gets the vaccine and still gets KC , but only mildly , he came to us as a puppy with the Battersea strain , was very unwell with it requiring 2 different courses of antibiotics and has tracheal problems as a result . We keep him vaccinated but he still seems susceptible to it although hasn't required ABs for a few years .

applesareredandgreen Wed 02-Nov-16 18:12:56

Is this part of the primary puppy vaccines? If not would you recommend for 5 month puppy who only comes in brief contact with other dogs when walking? (No kennels)

BigGreenOlives Wed 02-Nov-16 18:17:30

My dog had the nasal vaccination when kennel cough was common where we live then she got another strain anyway. I've given it to her a few times since but she isn't vaccinated at the moment. I don't have a lot of confidence in it.

Floralnomad Wed 02-Nov-16 19:03:49

apples , they pick it up from anywhere they mix with other dogs , my dog has never been in a kennel , IME even if the vaccine doesn't completely stop them getting it they don't seem to get it so badly . You will never vaccinate against it completely because there are different strains , a bit like the flu vaccine for humans .

EasyToEatTiger Wed 02-Nov-16 19:55:49

I don't vaccinate against KC. I know it is essential now for kennels. Best to avoid shared water bowls, like at the pub or outside shops etc. Best speak to your vet.

WyldFyre Wed 02-Nov-16 20:01:27

Nope. As it's not effective on all strains there is not much point.

I compete in flyball all over the country with my two and the slightest sniff of a dog having KC and the owners isolate their dogs.

Also having a dog who refuses to drink from communal bowls helps reduce my risk slightly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now