Talk

Advanced search

Sad greyhound after 2 days staying with friends

(24 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Sun 30-Oct-16 18:21:40

We took my greyhound to stay with a friend who boards dogs at home (just her, her husband and their JRT who is a sweetie) because we were going to visit friends who have a cat and our dog is not cat safe. Previously we got a dog sitter to come to us but we just couldn't find anyone. Our neighbours would have come in and fed and walked but otherwise he'd have been on his own and we thought he'd hate that.

He was ecstatic when we picked up him up from our friend today and had apparently been very good and settled there. Thrilled to see us, all the greeting rituals, much squeaking and twirling, barged past the sitter and bounded into the car. But now we're home, he's wandering about with his tail between his legs looking massively reproachful. A bit of food taken, a tiny wag when I said his name and I was permitted to scratch his chin and neck (he loves that) but not interested in his toys or any of his luxurious beds. Currently lying on the wooden floor (NEVER does that in cold weather) and being wholly unresponsive. I don't think he's ill or anything. Will he ever forgive us for sending him away? How do I explain that it's his own fault for being crap with cats?

AnUtterIdiot Sun 30-Oct-16 18:23:38

I just noticed that his tail had crept out from between his legs and he was looking a bit relaxed and as if he'd heard me thinking it he snatched it back in again sad

Vetsandpets Sun 30-Oct-16 18:27:23

Is he missing have a canine companion rather than reproaching you for sending him away? Ddog1 did not like being an only dog and, although he finds her very annoying at times, loves have Ddog2 around.

Floggingmolly Sun 30-Oct-16 18:30:07

Greyhounds are drama queens...

MrsNuckyThompson Sun 30-Oct-16 18:32:15

Have you ever owned a cat?

Cats do this each and every time you bring them home from the cattery. It's highly guilt inducing but usually passes in just a day or two.

MemoryFevvers Sun 30-Oct-16 18:35:28

Greyhounds are more cat than dog so it makes sense he's behaving like this. Ours does a very good impression of wobegone in similar circumstances.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:37:46

Greyhounds are drama queens....I agree.

FerretFred Sun 30-Oct-16 18:39:53

We are away for the weekend. It will be at least Thursday before my lurched speaks to us again.

She won't lay on the floor though. I'm in the wrong so I will have to sit on the floor whilst she has my chair!

mollie123 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:40:44

yes - lurchers are also great drama queens/kings smile

AnUtterIdiot Sun 30-Oct-16 18:44:25

I feel much better now! Although I spent the whole weekend secretly looking forward to snuggling up with him in front of the TV which evidently is not going to happen.

It's true, he is a bit of a drama queen. Once spent the whole afternoon limping because there had been a speck of grit on one of his paw pads. Continued to limp and stagger gamely round the house until I picked up his lead, at which point he forgot that he was supposed to be limping and commenced pre-walk twirling.

I suppose he might also be missing the JRT, although when we've had dogs here to visit he's found it mildly stressful after the initial thrill and has been very relieved when they've left...

FerretFred Sun 30-Oct-16 18:47:57

We've picked up pressies for the kids and will get a chicken for the dog on the way home....just to try to appease her!

AnUtterIdiot Sun 30-Oct-16 18:48:49

Offered him a whole frankfurter ten minutes ago. His most favourite treat. Turned his face away like a consumptive Bronte heroine.

FerretFred Sun 30-Oct-16 18:53:14

A consumptive Bronte heroine! That is just the most apt and funny description I've ever read! Brilliant!

Thank you so much!

BagelGoesWalking Mon 31-Oct-16 00:11:19

a consumptive Bronte heroine.** gringringrin

I always remember reading on one of the pointy owner threads, about the greyhound who acted like she'd been shot in the foot, when actually a wet leaf had disastrously stuck to his paw!

OrlandaFuriosa Mon 31-Oct-16 00:31:10

Our jrt was ecstatic to see us after a week's holiday with his natural family, mum and sister, but then got very grumpy with us. Was not prepared to forgive us for some time, though he'd had a fantastic time with them. Think displeased Heathcliff.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 31-Oct-16 00:40:26

Your descriptions are hilarious. grin

Any update on the Delicate One's moods?

JunosRevenge Mon 31-Oct-16 00:42:43

Ah this sounds horribly familiar. My extremely regal Saluki/Grey Lurcher has mahoosive sulks for days if I go away. Loved the consumptive heroine image - I know exactly the look you mean!! Much spoiling required from you I'm afraid!

YABVVU to go away and leave your hound, when you know you should be at home slaving over his every desire...

OrlandaFuriosa Mon 31-Oct-16 00:52:17

That's exactly the look our jrt gives us...jrt ified.

CMOTDibbler Mon 31-Oct-16 12:42:50

DDog1 (saluki x grey probably) is a drama llama and will limp pathetically around for the slightest perceived injury. Trouble is, he is a bear of little brain, and forgets which leg he is supposed to be limping on grin

AnUtterIdiot Mon 31-Oct-16 12:46:29

I've definitely peaked on witticisms for the year in this thread grin

The Pointy One is too sweet natured to sulk properly. Last night he came over for strokes before remembering that he was Not Speaking to us and going back to his bed. Then when I went into that room to turn the light off he "accidentally" rolled over and stretched for a belly rub before remembering, again, that he had gone NC and going all aloof again.

This morning, much more like his normal self. But very relieved that he's not the only sulker out there!

AnUtterIdiot Mon 31-Oct-16 12:48:52

I imagine him secretly posting on the Relationships thread about me. "Left me with a stranger and didn't come back for 2 days. Now wants me to pretend that nothing happened. Could she possibly be a narc?..."

schrutefarmbeets Mon 31-Oct-16 12:49:18

There's a great website called Trusted Housesitters that I dog and cat sit for - it's about £70 a year but you can read reviews on sitters and they'll stay and look after your pup for free. I usually meet the dog and the people I am going to be sitting for ahead of time and always send photos/email updates.

Might be worth looking into for next time?

AnUtterIdiot Mon 31-Oct-16 13:01:59

That's the sort of thing we'd like. He definitely is much happier at home. Even if we take him away with us he's only happy if permitted to sleep in our room, although at home he happily sleeps downstairs.

Juno I cannot believe that that beautiful, fragile face conceals any sort of drama queen. We are obviously not trying hard enough.

CMOT bless

KittyBeans72 Tue 01-Nov-16 14:11:48

I use Trusted Housesitters and it's brilliant. this is all hilarious but do dogs really do this or are we anthropomorphisming them??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now