Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for dog shampoo?

(16 Posts)
WonderOnTheUp Fri 28-Oct-16 12:30:52

Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend a good shampoo suitable for a longish haired dog with a love of mud/swamps/puddles/rolling in fox poo? I try not to bath him often and wash bedding regularly but he now is a bit too smelly so would like to give him a bath.

Would it be better just to take to groomers or is there a good shampoo that I could use?

CheeseAtFourpence Fri 28-Oct-16 12:51:00

We use Animology - they even have a special Fox Poo shampoo.

babyblackbird Fri 28-Oct-16 14:45:29

I second Animology Fox Poo definitely gets rid of the smell

Soubriquet Fri 28-Oct-16 14:51:25

Pet head by tigi

Oh so pricey but so worth it

WonderOnTheUp Fri 28-Oct-16 22:22:42

Thanks for the suggestions! He's now clean (we used animology) and hopefully he will stay that way for a few days! grin

WeAllHaveWings Sat 29-Oct-16 13:12:37

We always use an Oatmeal based one where possible, currently on this one and it cleans well, not particually scented but I prefer it that way.

Ylvamoon Sat 29-Oct-16 19:57:16

I have "groomers- time to detangle" great for longish dog coats.

FormerlyCatherineDeB Sat 29-Oct-16 20:03:25

We have always used Aveeno Soothing Shampoo on our dogs.

LumelaMme Sat 29-Oct-16 20:14:59

Whatever we have lying around. L'Oreal (because he's worth it, the minging little horror...)

But tbh, ordinary detergent from next to the kitchen sink shifts fox poo just as well, and has never caused a skin issue on our dogs.

soulnotasoldier Sun 30-Oct-16 21:53:55

Ultimate Blends oat shampoo for human beings. Dog shampoo is an over expensive con. Just use what is ph neutral for people. They'll smell just as lovely as you!

Darklane Mon 31-Oct-16 15:37:41

Baby shampoo. Doesn't matter if it gets near their eyes as much.

WonderOnTheUp Mon 31-Oct-16 18:32:27

Thanks for all the suggestions - with two stinky fox poo addicts with a love of swamps I'm sure I'll get to test out these suggestions! smile

dannyglick Mon 31-Oct-16 20:46:40

We use Johnson's Baby Shampoo and Baby Conditioner.

user1478092811 Wed 02-Nov-16 13:39:18

I have three dogs - all various breeds, a dachshund short hair, basset hound whose hair gets everywhere lol and a labrador. We use Nilaqua pet shampoo - you don't need water with it so its great for the small tidy ups instead of big baths, it smells great and can be used for big baths too. We have never had a problem with it, we do a lot of walking so its great to take out and use on them before they get back in the car with muddy paws and poo covered necks! My three are poo addicts too grin smile

HeadfirstForHalos Wed 02-Nov-16 18:46:36

Can anyone recommend one for a smelly collie who suffers from dermatitis fairly regularly? She is highly allergic to fleas, even though she is on a strong prescribed flea treatment she only needs to be bitten once and she has an outbreak. She gets anti-histamine too but I'd like a shampoo that will soothe her skin.

AndiGee Mon 02-Jan-17 17:35:24

Hi HeadfirstForHalos - I love the 5 in 1 Shampoo from Tippy Toes. It smells great and is less than $20. Its detangles, soothes and conditions. Badger the Lab is a big fan ! We get it on Amazon www.amazon.com/dp/B01LBSY5QE

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now