Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice please re our westie

(5 Posts)
Whowherewhywhat Wed 26-Oct-16 20:21:56

Our lovely westie is 13 and has been on and off incontinent (wee only) for about a year now, we have tried everything with vet all tests but nothing conclusive. She's been on doggie HRT for a few months which helped her in continence initially but it's back again now. She's also blind and basically just fiends her time in her basket or when she needs to go outside to the loo. She flies really like a fuss anymore and keeps herself to herself. We can't tell if she is in pain, I don't think do, but she doesn't seem to have much of a life anymore and we have been thinking whether it would be kinder to put her to sleep , anyone else been in this situation and have any advice?

DanielCraigsUnderpants Thu 27-Oct-16 12:04:11

I would go on your gut with this one, no one could ever really tell you without meeting your dog. You could talk it over with your vet and see what they think. They wont make the decision for you but they have the most experience. If i was in your position, I would be making plans to give your dog a few last days and weeks of the things they love / loved to do and preparing mentally to say goodbye. The time is close even if its not necessarily now.

I'm sorry, this really is the absolute worst bit about having dogs or any pets.

Whowherewhywhat Thu 27-Oct-16 21:18:31

Thanks DCU, that's a good idea of doing all her favourite things that she loves now while she still can over the next few weeks so she and we are all as happy as we can be , almost a celebration with her rather than her light slowly going out. Thanks for the advice.

DanielCraigsUnderpants Fri 28-Oct-16 08:35:13

You're welcome. I hope you get to make some nice memories.

StandardPoodle Tue 01-Nov-16 18:28:34

I think you know when it's time. Someone once said to me it's better to be a week early than a day late. It's a very difficult time and my heart goes out to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now