Talk

Advanced search

Dog grooming DIY

(11 Posts)
starsandstripes2016 Mon 24-Oct-16 21:54:38

Recommendations for clippers please?

Deadnettle Mon 24-Oct-16 21:59:57

I have an Andis Agc super 2-speed clipper which is corded and I recently bought a wahl bravura which is cordless. I use the wahl metal guide combs with the andis.

What kind of dog are you grooming?

PikachuSayBoo Mon 24-Oct-16 22:02:01

I have those Andis ones as well.

starsandstripes2016 Mon 24-Oct-16 22:17:33

Need recommendation for a labradoodle. She's large and fur really dense do brushing is pretty much impossible. She also needs to be 'sheared' every six weeks and it's too pricey now.

I suspect the blades will blunt really quickly so need a professional spec clippers that can sharpened professionally after every cut.

PikachuSayBoo Mon 24-Oct-16 22:22:50

I have a cavachon so I would say similar coat. Very dense and bushy, she's like a teddy bear. Bichon coat is similar to a poodle coat.

Had my clippers for 18 months and they're still cutting ok.

PikachuSayBoo Mon 24-Oct-16 22:23:23

Ive never sharpened the blades. Didn't know you were meant to?

TheFlyingFauxPas Mon 24-Oct-16 23:44:23

I've got the wahl rechargeable one. Very happy with it. Sure I read somewhere what blunts them is cutting dirty fur and you should shampoo first. Do you do this? If you keep them clean and oiled I don't believe they blunt. ( however ddog's fur is as wispy as a summer cloud so not too much of a challenge)

Deadnettle Tue 25-Oct-16 09:03:18

The andis clippers are professional spec (the wahl one is too but that won't be any use for you).

The most important thing is clipping a clean dog. Shampoo at least twice and blow dry. I have a blaster dryer and it is one of the best things I have ever bought for my dog (a poodle).

Cleaning and oiling the blades is important too.

You will also need more than one blade as they will get too hot to use so the time between getting them sharpened will be longer than if just using one blade.

starsandstripes2016 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:41:50

All useful advice thank you. Found a family firm - Anglia Clipper Services who seem a good supplier. Will take on board the advice about wet cut.

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 26-Oct-16 23:23:53

Not wet cut. Needs to be dry but clean.

HappyCamel Wed 26-Oct-16 23:25:34

Wahl Bravura Lithiums work great on my standard poodle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now