Talk

Advanced search

Pet insurance - so confused

(5 Posts)
RonSwansonsBestFriend Sun 16-Oct-16 10:51:52

My cover has gone up £15 per month with current provider. (Dog is only 3, no problems so far and standard breed)

I'm looking for lifetime cover but it's all so confusing!

Any recommendations for a reliable provider? They vary so much in price, id like to know who has used their insurance and found them good to work with?

Thanks.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 16-Oct-16 11:26:47

Labrador(3), £34/month, Pet plan £7k lifetime cover.

Have claimed twice (~£600 per claim) with no problems, they paid vet directly.

Pet insurance is not cheap and does increase as the dog ages and the risk of claims gets higher, I expect it will be £80-£100/month when ddog gets older.

RonSwansonsBestFriend Sun 16-Oct-16 12:33:19

Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't prepared for the age increase?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 16-Oct-16 13:49:09

My PetPlan policy was £30 a month for the first year. When he reached a year old it jumped to £35 a month. Perfectly healthy pedigree dog, no claims or illnesses at all. It's a bloody rip off is what it is but you daren't be without it.

Brenna24 Wed 19-Oct-16 02:31:34

DDog (Border collie) is currently £51 per month. He is 13 years and 9 months old now though. His premiums have gone up over the years but steadily about £3 per year over 9 years. We are with PetPlan and are covered for life. It has been worth every penny. There have been no huge hikes over the years. We are now claiming about £200 per month worth of medications for him, up from about £120 2.5 years ago and about £50 per month for the year before than. On top of which I had 3 operations over the course of the 6 years before that, 2 accidents and 1 wart removed from the edge of his eyelid. They have paid out without querying anything ever. I have got back almost as much as I have paid in now. Plus I have the relief of being able to decide on medication increases solely on his quality of life and nothing to do with how much it costs. I would definitely recommend petplan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now