Talk

Advanced search

Benadryl?

(12 Posts)
Mylittlelights Tue 11-Oct-16 11:14:06

Is it the same as human stuff or do I need to get a special dog one?

DDog age 11 has got a swollen muzzle, she gets very distressed when I take her to the vet so would like to avoid that if possible but I am prepared to take her if needed.

Mylittlelights Tue 11-Oct-16 11:17:19

She is still eating, drinking and playing as normal.

MaitlandGirl Tue 11-Oct-16 11:51:09

I can't remember if you can give dogs Benadryl or not - give your vets a call and ask them, they should tell you over the phone.

Mylittlelights Tue 11-Oct-16 11:51:17

She's weezing, en route to vets sad

MaitlandGirl Tue 11-Oct-16 11:53:08

Poor thing - hope she's better soon, she's probably been bitten/stung by something. One of mine is a horror for getting stung, and it's always on his muzzle so he ends up with a wonky face for a few days!

Soubriquet Tue 11-Oct-16 11:54:38

Hope she's ok!

My vet ok'd anti histamines for humans. My old dog used to have Flea Allergy and every time he got fleas he would bite himself raw

misscph1973 Tue 11-Oct-16 11:55:32

Yes, you can give dogs benadryl, I used to give it to my dog.

Mylittlelights Tue 11-Oct-16 12:33:12

So far 2 X anti histamines injections, 1 X Antibiotics and 1 x steroid injection.

Now need to wait and see if the swelling goes down and she needs an X Ray as the vet thinks there is something wrong with her heart sad

Soubriquet Tue 11-Oct-16 12:34:05

sadflowers

MaitlandGirl Tue 11-Oct-16 22:14:47

Poor puppy dog sad hope it's nothing serious - what breed is she?

Mylittlelights Tue 11-Oct-16 23:07:09

She is a mixed breed, X Ray results were inconclusive and need to be sent off for a second opinion, she had some kind of shadow on her heart but vet not too sure what it is hence the second opnion.

Swelling still not gone down and she has had another dose of anti histamine.

Breathing is still wheezy sad

Basically, I have paid out a lot of money and still have no idea what's wrong.

NKFell Wed 12-Oct-16 17:47:30

lights I've given benadryl to dogs- I just check the weight for the dose. Poor thing, I hope her heart is OK.

HRS Well that sounds positive re the docs. Workplaces are always a faff but I really hope it works out so do keep us informed! The pushchair looks very snuggley, I wouldn't mind one for myself grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now