MRI?

(7 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Thu 06-Oct-16 13:02:47

Hi all. I posted recently about my dog apparently being in pain and turning out to have a bladder infection. We returned to the vet for a followup last week - infection seems to have resolved himself, he no longer squeaks when his bladder area is palpated and all seems normal.

Vet has however suggested doing an MRI to make sure that there's nothing else wrong. He does need his teeth descaled so will be having a local anyway, and it's not a cost issue because he's insured, but... I don't know, I just slightly baulk at the idea of having an MRI when his problem seems to be resolved. I suffer from massive health anxiety for myself but even I would not insist on an MRI if my symptoms had cleared up after antibiotics! WWYD, Mumsnetters?

Floralnomad Thu 06-Oct-16 13:53:57

Seems like a complete over reaction I'd be asking more questions before going ahead with it and certainly check with the insurance because I doubt they will pay for seemingly unnecessary investigations .

Badgoushk Thu 06-Oct-16 13:57:21

Sounds extreme to me. And your dog would need an anaesthetic unnecessarily which always involves an element of risk, even if small.

Deadnettle Thu 06-Oct-16 14:05:01

Its sounds like an extreme over reaction to 1 infection unless there are other issues you haven't stated op?

TrionicLettuce Thu 06-Oct-16 14:36:18

If he's got no other signs that there's something else wrong then it seems hugely overkill to go from a resolved infection to an MRI.

Even if he's having a GA anyway for his teeth doing and they can do the MRI in house I'm not sure I'd bother unless there's something specific the vet is looking for.

AnUtterIdiot Thu 06-Oct-16 15:18:32

No other issues as far as I'm aware. This is a new vet to me. I've had dogs with infections before and I just can't remember an MRI being suggested in circumstances where medication has resolved the only known issue.

Sorry, I should have said "GA" not local in the post there - he has to be out for his teeth to be done.

Thanks all! Good to know it's reasonable to be a bit surprised by this.

powershowerforanhour Fri 07-Oct-16 08:59:09

Pretty unusual. I wonder whether the vet was concerned about the possibility of diskodpondylitis in the lumbosacral spine- infected discs in the lower back. This isn't common but when it does occur is often as a result of bladder or prostate infections as the whole area shares lymphatic drainage. It looks better with antibiotics but needs much longer on antibiotics than a simple bladder infection would.
I suppose you could wait and see what happens as the extra length of anaesthetic for MRI plus cost is significant, but on the minus side if there is diskodpondylitis, the longer it is left the more long term damage to the vertebrae so a risk of chronic back pain and neurological problems.
I'd talk to the vet about why they think there is a high index of suspicion for this or whatever condition they are worried about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now