Talk

Advanced search

Labrador name help

(33 Posts)
Dementedswan Mon 03-Oct-16 18:43:04

Seems like we are getting a red fox lab soon. Hes gorgeous, really dark red. Playful, biddable and leggy.

If he was yours what would you name him. I don't have a picture yet.

Also what do I need to know?

Vajazzler Mon 03-Oct-16 18:46:24

We had a lab cross German shepherd. We named him Rodney. After Dave (who's my husband 😂😂😂)

IzzyIsBusy Mon 03-Oct-16 18:50:28

Fluke
Finn
Kobi
Roscoe

TealGiraffe Mon 03-Oct-16 18:52:18

Imho dogs suit old human names grin

Gordon
Finn
Albert
Charlie
Ralph
Ned
Arthur
Alf
Billy

TealGiraffe Mon 03-Oct-16 18:52:50

I also know a beagle called malcolm. I think its brilliant grin

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 03-Oct-16 18:53:43

Winston
Alfred
Rupert
Henry

2gorgeousboys Mon 03-Oct-16 18:56:29

We have a fox red lab. They really are the most beautiful dog. I agree with the PP that old fashioned human names work well, our boy has one such name.

Dementedswan Mon 03-Oct-16 19:06:24

How easy are they to train? Ours is from working parents, I've been assured they are very intelligent.

The youngest wants to call him pip 😂

DragonitesRule Mon 03-Oct-16 19:06:58

We have a red fox lab-good luck!!! Ours is clever, tenacious and was very rambunctious as a pup! Lots of exercise required-ours will go for miles! She is fabulous with the kids and other animals (they are hunting dogs so usually soft mouthed)

Chilli
Merlot
Clifford (was a big red dog)
Brick
Blaze
Flynn (Irish for red/ruddy)
Jasper
Raphael
Red
Ambrose

Enjoy!😆😆😆

everythingis Mon 03-Oct-16 19:08:44

My neighbours choc lab is called Bruce. I think it's ace.

I wanted to call my dog Jim but the kids banned it.

dogdinner Mon 03-Oct-16 19:13:39

Oh I was coming on to suggest pip.
Rex
Elton
Simon
Cooper
Roland
Rufus
Basically just place marking for a picture!

TealGiraffe Mon 03-Oct-16 19:15:56

My family has always had labs. We found them easy to train as they are clever, but that cleverness can mean they get bored and get into mischief grin

All our labs have been very willing to learn. They want to please and show off their skills.

Don't underestimate the amount of energy though! You will spend a lot of time in wellies in the rain grin but its worth it when they look at you with their big dopey faces

2gorgeousboys Mon 03-Oct-16 19:15:56

Ours is a trained gun dog but gun shy so needed rehoming. He's very well trained and therefore hugely obedient although obeys DH and the boys far more than he does me. I agree they can walk for miles and he loves swimming in fact he would quite happily swim and play in the water all. They are also incredibly gentle and affectionate and admired for their good looks wherever they go!

Enjoy!

WyldFyre Mon 03-Oct-16 19:21:07

I have a fox red lab - I wanted to call her Ruadh (pronounced Roo-ay, meaning red-haired in Gaelic).
Compromised with Ruby.

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Mon 03-Oct-16 19:25:17

I have a black lab called Indy, after Indiana Jones.

EbyBum Mon 03-Oct-16 19:25:41

We have a fox red-she's lovely! We know another one called Red.

Shesgotelectricboobs Mon 03-Oct-16 19:34:31

The colonel.

When we get our choccie lab/beagle were calling it "the captain"

Our rescue cat is affectionately known as professor Millie. She's a tabby and her markings look like she's wearing glasses

Dementedswan Mon 03-Oct-16 19:37:10

Will definitely post a pic when I can! The only one I've got has my son in so would out me. Hes a dark red. Working stock, all of the litter were very calm pups but he seemed to be the thinker and not too dominant.

OreoHeaven Mon 03-Oct-16 19:39:27

Digby

youredeadtomesteven Mon 03-Oct-16 19:46:13

Bruce
Archie

Cherubneddy1 Mon 03-Oct-16 19:47:47

Tumble

Garthmarenghi Mon 03-Oct-16 19:48:04

Pippin!

Dementedswan Mon 03-Oct-16 20:39:16

All you lab owners, my biggest fear is a huge dog pulling on the lead. Is a rope lead best. Pup is 9 weeks. Hes a working dog owner. Said put him on a rope leash. The younger the better as the are quick learners. He said do not use clip on collar leads as they train dogs to pull. Is that right?

I'm intending on crating pup when have to do school run (20 mins max)

House insurance covers pup damage for first instance of each item.

Pet insurance, lifetime cover for up to 7,500 a year per condition or is it worth paying a bit more for 10k a year per condition.

Kong toys for chewing, what shall I full them with that won't upset a pups tummy?

Dementedswan Mon 03-Oct-16 20:42:45

Training, should I carry a pocket full of dog food or cheerios to reward dog for walking nicely etc? Something tiny to give often to encourage positive behaviour, instant reward without upsetting puppy tummies and making him over weight.

WyldFyre Mon 03-Oct-16 21:10:16

If your pup pulls from the start (and there's no guarantee that they will) then don't use a sliplead as they can damage the throat. I use slip leads, but they are for letting a dog off lead quickly, not for loose lead training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now