Talk

Advanced search

Dogs and peanut butter

(12 Posts)
stonecircle Mon 26-Sep-16 18:19:19

I've seen a number of posters recommending peanut butter as a suitable filling for kongs. Please be aware that some peanut butters now contain less sugar but to compensate contain xylitol as a sweetener.
Xylitol is deadly to dogs - even in small quantities. So please dog owners - be careful.

jwww Tue 27-Sep-16 15:58:59

If you're giving peanut better to your dog it should be 100% organic and contain no sugars, sweeteners and importantly salt!
Most pet shops sell this,but 100% natural organic from the supermarket is the same.

phillipp Tue 27-Sep-16 17:53:07

I am sure this is quite widely known.

I eat loads of flavoured peanut butter myself. The stuff I give to the dog is pure puréed nuts. No salt or anything added.

A decent quality non flavoured peanut butter should have nothing but a bit of salt added.

stonecircle Tue 27-Sep-16 18:19:05

You'd be surprised what some people feed their dogs Philip

phillipp Tue 27-Sep-16 20:02:01

The reason that I think it's quite widely know is that, in the last year, I have seen this reported in the news, Facebook, 2 different vets, pet shops (larger and small), dogs shows and agricultural shows, dog training etc In fact anywhere there is likely to be dogs.

I know people feed their dogs all sorts of crap, but I did (possibly naively) think that most people should be aware of this.

stonecircle Tue 27-Sep-16 20:10:42

I'm not on facebook and don't go to agricultural or dog shows. Neither have I seen anything in my vets. Maybe that makes me unusual. Sorry if I've annoyed you by posting something you think is glaringly obvious, but the level of ignorance about dogs, particularly amongst new dog owners is sometimes astounding. I see lots of people recommending peanut butter filled kongs without the caveat that it should not have xylitol or any other additives, so I thought it might be worth highlighting.

phillipp Tue 27-Sep-16 20:21:11

You haven't annoyed me. I apologise if it came across that way it was not my intention at all.

I just thought it was quite well known now. smile

LyndaNotLinda Tue 27-Sep-16 21:22:14

Thanks stonecircle. I do go to county shows, I live in the country, I'm a member of loads of dog facebook pages and I didn't know!

Thankfully my dog is hideously pampered and only eats Whole Earth but it's a really good reminder to check packaging

TallulahTheTiger Fri 30-Sep-16 20:30:39

I didn't know this and have bought some peanut butter for daftdug's kong- thanks for headsup.

serialtester Fri 30-Sep-16 20:32:37

I had no idea - but then again my dog hates peanut butter!!

musicposy Sat 01-Oct-16 01:22:25

I didn't know peanut butter could have xylitol in it and DDog likes a bit of peanut butter in a toy, so this is a useful heads up. Thank you.

dudsville Sat 01-Oct-16 04:09:24

I did not know this! I haven't yet given it to my dogs but i'd heard dogs like peanut butter so have contemplated it. I use a "healthy" peanut butter - I'll check the ingredients list. Thanks Op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now