Talk

Advanced search

Playpen suggestions please

(8 Posts)
boybabies Mon 26-Sep-16 14:02:20

Getting pup in 4 weeks so am buying a few things each week in preparation.
I'm planning on crate training, space set aside in our large kitchen diner.
I would like to buy the equivalent of baby jail for her so I can limit access to other areas at busy times of the day but without her being shut in cage.
I'd ideally like something big enough to fit around her crate so she can still go in for a snooze, but can be near me and not stood on whilst I prepare dinner etc.
Does anyone have any experiences good or bad or any product suggestions?

Wolfiefan Mon 26-Sep-16 14:05:58

I was considering a whelping pen for the early days. I am not keen on crates.
A stairgate to keep her out of main kitchen area?

boybabies Mon 26-Sep-16 14:32:02

I know a stair gate would probably fit the bill, I'm just reluctant to go back to them now the children have outgrown them.
I like the thought of being able to pop her in a smaller safe space while I do things like answer front door, take rubbish out etc in the early days. Just don't want to be putting her in and out of crate when I'd rather she chose when to go in.
Once routines and boundaries are established I can then ditch the pen and keep the crate.

ceres Mon 26-Sep-16 22:27:17

Look at bunny business pens on Amazon. Very reasonable prices and they come in different heights - they also have doors so easy access for puppy to get in and out.

GladysKravitz Tue 27-Sep-16 16:41:06

We had one of these which was really good. We sold it on a facebook buy and sell page after just a few weeks as our giant pup outgrew it, maybe search your local ones for similar?

Darklane Tue 27-Sep-16 17:33:51

I have one of these. Mine is bigger than the one shown as you can add panels & get a bigger base. It's really sturdy.
I don't use it at the moment as mine are fully grown now but it was very useful when they were puppies.
It's This one

boybabies Wed 28-Sep-16 10:04:02

Brilliant advice, thanks all!

missyB1 Wed 28-Sep-16 10:07:45

Our puppy is 11 weeks old. I wasn't keen on crates so I bought a second hand playpen off FB for £25 it's a baby one not a dog specific one. It's been amazingly useful! She sleeps in there but it's also a safe place to put her if I'm going out or busy upstairs. It's one that also opens out into a room divider.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now