Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would someone knowledgeable look at this website for me

(8 Posts)
AndShesGone Sat 24-Sep-16 21:21:23

This website www.littlerascalsuk.com say that they're licensed breeders.

I'd be grateful if someone who understood the terminology would have a look.

AndShesGone Sat 24-Sep-16 21:24:13

Ah ignore last. It's a bloody puppy farm, I just found out as someone sent me a link.

Wolfiefan Sat 24-Sep-16 21:27:50

What sort of dog are you after? We are on the search and I am trying to go through a breed club and get a pup through a friend of a friend type situation. It's so hard. The bloody puppy farmers are so sneaky nowadays.

AndShesGone Sat 24-Sep-16 21:30:25

I want a Scottish Terrier smile. I've phoned a few places over the last 3 months but my spidey sense put me off all of them.

My lovely Springer died nearly two years ago (he was a rescue) and I've not been able to even think about getting one until recently.

TrionicLettuce Sat 24-Sep-16 22:10:09

Avoid any breeder that is licensed by their local council. The vast majority of councils only require a licence when there's more than five litters being bred a year. No decent breeder would be breeding at the volumes that would require licensing.

Have you tried approaching the breed club? They should be able to put you in touch with decent breeders who have litters planned. The Champdogs site is a pretty good starting point to look for breeders as well.

Wolfiefan Sat 24-Sep-16 22:12:41

I would second the breed club. I'm not convinced champdogs offers any guarantees at all. Or kennel club either. I've been waiting for what feels like forever but I couldn't stand the thought of contributing to puppy farming.

Ylvamoon Sat 24-Sep-16 22:22:29

Have you considered an other rescue dog. If not, breed clubs via KC website might be useful ... An other good option is to buy your puppy from a show kennel - it might be more difficult to get a pup but you have some kind of guarantee that they are legit.

I breed of one of my girls...and these are a few things I do. My dogs are sold with a contract - I outline important things like what flea / worm treatment was used and when to repeat it. Return policy should the dog be unfit for sale.
Microchip number & KC name.
I will take my puppies back into my home before they end up in a kennel.
A reputable breeder will have their dogs health tested, often you will be able to see mum and an other relative to your puppy.
The breeder will also ask about your lifestyle, as dogs are very sociable and hate being left for long times!
To me, it is important to know if this is a first dog as I will give a basic training manual if it will be beneficial.
Honest dog breeders are knowledgeable and a bit nuts about their dogs, they will be able to talk for hours about them!
If you are locally you should be able to see puppy several times before you finally bring him home. Also, you should be able to see the whole litter on your first visit & you should be able to choose time and date! (Within reason)
Besides the obvious questions about the puppy, ask how old the mum is (she should be between 1- 5/6 years) & how many litters she has had (not more than 4 with kc papers or 5 /6 without!)
Never buy a puppy without seeing it first- I have experienced this several times, people just send a deposit for the puppy and come to pick it up at 8 weeks... crazy that is exactly what encourages puppy farming.
And go with your gut instincts- if it don't feel right, walk away!

BagelGoesWalking Mon 26-Sep-16 16:07:28

this is a Scottish Terrier rescue. If you scroll down you'll see a list of regional coordinators. Might be worth contacting and getting on a list of potential adopters?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now