Talk

Advanced search

Old + scared dog has bolted! Please advise!

(17 Posts)
AdmiralData Sat 24-Sep-16 16:12:42

Hello smile My dad's dog was accidentally let out of the front door this morning by builders. The builders immediately gave chase on foot and in the potty they had. The dog scarpered because she was scared. This was this morning. My dad has been searching and I've taken to FB lost/found pages, the local dog warden and per shops. We've done the blanket scented with the house thing. My family are suggesting calling 101 but I don't want to time waste. Any sensible advice please? I can't search myself due to disability. Thanks.

AdmiralData Sat 24-Sep-16 16:14:03

Er. .. they didn't chase my aging dog with a potty. It was in their lorry blush

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sat 24-Sep-16 16:18:22

What kind of dog and whereabouts are you?

Just asking because a friend found an aging black lab called Dylan this morning in the Midlands!

AdmiralData Sat 24-Sep-16 16:19:55

She is a black collie/lurcher (?) cross and we're in Wales sad

SilverBat Sat 24-Sep-16 16:20:10

Put his details on here doglost
Is he chipped and tagged?

Floralnomad Sat 24-Sep-16 16:20:20

Get him on Dog Lost if he hasn't turned up , hope you have find him soon

AdmiralData Sat 24-Sep-16 16:22:30

Thank you for the dogs lost recommendation! I'll put her on there now.

TrionicLettuce Sat 24-Sep-16 16:26:19

List the dog on the Dog Lost website, they'll send alerts out to people in the area who are willing to help look for lost dogs. They also put it up on their FB page and members in the relevant area will share it.

Try small local dog rescues if there are any. They often have a network of local doggy people who help them out and might assist with looking for your dog. Are there any areas frequented by dog walkers near you? If so you could do a mail out to dog walking companies asking them to keep an eye out.

If the dog is scared then encourage people to look but not approach, particularly if the dog appears to be hanging around a particular area, as they may just end up scaring them off and losing them again.

TallulahTheTiger Sat 24-Sep-16 16:44:42

Oh no! Also post to local buy/sell pages and local news? Have you contacted local vets?

AdmiralData Sat 24-Sep-16 16:54:20

Dog is now on the LostDog site so thank you (again). I'm putting her on every local page I can find and I'll be messaging dog walkers and rescue shelters.

TallulahTheTiger Sat 24-Sep-16 19:31:37

Any luck?

AdmiralData Sat 24-Sep-16 20:27:56

Right. Dog is now registered as lost on DogsLost. I've phoned all vets in my area and beyond. Dog warden, 101 and dog pound informed. FB lost and found pages all informed. Scenting has been well underway all day. Neighbours and friends know. Dad has been looking all day. No joy yet. Waiting for response from local animal charities.

Scarlet6 Mon 03-Oct-16 13:41:50

Please update us when you can.

If there are any nearby parks or paths you take when you walk her perhaps she went down that path?

I hope you find her soon xxx

Scuttlebutter Mon 03-Oct-16 23:43:07

Don't just inform your own specific Council dog warden especially if you are in urban S Wales. Ring round neighbouring Councils too e.g. we are in Cardiff but I only have to go about a mile up the road before I'm in Newport - an easy journey for a stray.

Ring round local vets - injured/stray dogs are often taken to them especially out of hours for scanning and treatment.

It sounds grim but contact separately Highways/Street Cleansing who deal with picking up dead dogs (quite a few Councils now scan these if possible). SC departments don't routinely get info on strays so won't necessarily be aware/looking.

Share like mad on social media.

Hope you find her soon.

AdmiralData Tue 04-Oct-16 02:01:22

I'm so sorry I didn't reply. I've spent alot of time trying to track down each missing poster and delete posts on various sites. She is alive, safe and well but very nervous. Her hair has fallen out on her tummy. Off to the vets for her.

Thank you everyone.

Floralnomad Tue 04-Oct-16 06:34:19

So glad you found her ,thanks for updating and I hope she recovers from her ordeal soon .

pigsDOfly Tue 04-Oct-16 12:35:07

So glad you've found her. Such a relief for you and your dad. Awful to think of any dog wandering alone but an old and nervous one is just heart breaking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now