Talk

Advanced search

Food again - sorry! Feeding a mix of raw and Millies

(5 Posts)
notatschool Tue 20-Sep-16 15:42:33

Back in May we adopted a gorgeous one year old beagle mix rescue. We started off feeding him James Wellbeloved, which he was never very impressed by. We switched to raw - a Honey's welcome pack first, then making up my own. He has a mix of mince/liver/veg in the morning, and meaty bones in the evening.

In my search for training treats I came across Millies Wolfheart. I ordered some sample bags and my dog LOVES them. I would like to be able to use a portion of Millies kibble each day for training, but am not sure the best way to substitute for what we're doing at the moment.

Do any of you feed a mix of raw and kibble?

Thanks smile

notatschool Sat 01-Oct-16 01:12:21

I guess that's a no? Nevermind!

What we ended up doing was half and half raw and Millie's. Now he has a smaller portion of mince/veg in the morning, kibble throughout the day, and a bone to chew on in the evening.

It's been great, so handy for training - loose leash and getting his attention while out on walks is coming on, plus much easier for the kids to feed him.

talksensetome Thu 06-Oct-16 11:38:51

I have been looking into RAW feeding as a new dog owner and have read a couple of times that it is not a good idea to mix raw food and kibble, which is what I was planning to do.
Something to do with the two things being digested differently. Not sure if it means don't mix them in the same meal or don't mix them at all in the dogs diet actually.

SlimbobJones Thu 06-Oct-16 11:43:42

Hey, I'm a raw feeder and it's absolutely fine to use a good quality kibble like millie's as training treats just as long as you're balancing the rest of his diet well smile What's not ok is to substitute kibble for a whole raw meal or a part of the overall diet because then you'll run into balance issues. For example, if you're Prey Model Raw, your kibble contains some bone so your 10% bone content overall in the diet will be really hard to maintain and your calcium/ phosphorus balance will be out. That said, you can certainly reduce meal sizes and use millies just for training treats if you're trying to maintain his weight smile

HTH

talksensetome Thu 06-Oct-16 12:49:35

That's really helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now