Using a dog sitter for the first time?

(2 Posts)
TwuntingCat Tue 13-Sep-16 11:51:26

I'm going away for a couple of nights next month and am a bit stuck for someone to look after my 2 Ddog's. They usually go to a lady who I met and made friends with (whilst talking about dogs) nearly 20 years ago when our old dog was just a puppy, who they love and I see it as a bit of a treat for them as she spoils them rotten (no longer has dogs herself). However she is also away the same weekend so can't do it this time, I suppose after 20 years it was bound to happen at some point! My only other option is my best friend but she is moving house that weekend so I don't want to add to her stress.
Therefore I've decided I will have to use a dog sitter and have found someone I'm going to call tonight, we have already talked over Facebook and she has said I'm more than welcome to make a house visit. My question is, is there anything I need to ask her about such as her insurance etc? Having never used a dog sitter before I'm clueless so any info of what to look out for would be great!

daisygirlmac Tue 13-Sep-16 18:48:30

I would ask how many dogs she will be looking after, will it be a group walk, is it a kennel or home environment. How long has she been doing it, are there any testimonials? I am very cautious, we took our blind JRT to a "home" environment as he wouldn't understand kennels and when I got there the next day he was crated in his harness (which to him means a walk) with no access to water. I was livid, gave the stupid woman a piece of my mind and took poor dog home where he drank and drank. So I bet there's loads of good ones but make sure you are comfortable. He goes now to his lovely dog walker's house where he has the same free run as he would at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now